Page images

and, kneeling down, he began to pray; and God rolled upon him such a burden that he prayed all night that God would have mercy upon his father. He did not go to his father's house for two or three days after he arrived in Massachusetts. He first saw his mother, as his father was at work in the field. Said she to him, “Your father is an altered man; he has given his heart to the Saviour, and is rejoicing in hope.” He inquired at what time it was that his father found peace, and she said it was on such a night, the very time that he was praying for him on board the steamboat.

Too WICKED TO PRAY.—The following fact was related at the meeting, in the month of March 1859. About a year ago, one of the teachers of the Old Colony Mission School, in Boston, found a Scotch family, by the name of Logan. There were four children, three of whom were brought into the Sabbath school. The mother had been in favour of having the children attend, but the father was opposed. He was profane, and intemperate, and a Sabbath-breaker. The oldest boy, named Willie, entreated his father to go to the Sabbath school, and at last succeeded in inducing him to attend. When he returned from the school the first time, he told his wife that the children would get no harm there, and that they might go. He was then invited to attend the six-o'clock Sabbath evening prayer-meeting. He went, and told his wife afterwards that he thought he would not go again. When the next Sabbath came, however, he went, and continued to go every Sabbath, ever afterwards, with his wife and with three of the children. He som gave up profanity and drinking, and his mind


became deeply impressed with the importance of attending to the subject of religion. In a short time, he desired to have a prayer-meeting at his house. It was held, and special pains were taken to have him understand his obligations to God, and his duties as a parent. He was urged to read the Bible and

pray. He said he was too wicked, and that if he attempted to pray the floor would break under him, so great were his sins. He


still urged to pray. The next Sabbath evening after this, he rose in the six-o'clock meeting, said he was a great sinner, and urged God's people to pray for him. He became deeply distressed, and was in an agony of mind.

A few words said at one of the meetings impressed him deeply. He could neither eat, sleep, nor work. He was a blacksmith by trade, and he said it seemed to him that he could not lift his hammer. He remained in this state of mind for three weeks, his convictions growing deeper with every

week. On one Sabbath night, he promised to yield himself to the Saviour. He went home and read the Bible until twelve o'clock at night, and tried to pray. He got no sleep until towards morning. When he awoke, he thought he saw some one standing at his bedside. He looked, and thought he saw Jesus Christ. It seemed to him like a reality. While looking, his burden dropped from him, and he was light and happy. He rose from his bed immediately and prayed, and told his wife that he had found the Saviour. Since then (December 1858), he has felt the greatest interest in his old companions. His wife was soon hopefully converted. A family altar was immediately erected, and happiness, temporal and spiritual, have since followed him day by day.

A CONSCIENCE QUICKENED.—At the Business Men's Prayer-meeting, it was stated that a hardware merchant, in New York, said that religion ought to be carried into all our business transactions. We ought to be the same on the week days as on the Sabbath ; the same in the counting-room as at the communion-table. A manufacturer, who had furnished him with goods, followed him to his store, and said, “I was in the meeting, and heard what you said. I have to confess that for the last five years I have charged you five per cent. more than I have

any of the rest of my customers. I now wish you to take your books, deduct five per cent. from all my bills, during this time, and charge it to me." A few days after, the same merchant said that he had several hundred dollars paid to him that had been due twenty-eight years. There had been no time, within twenty-five years, when the same man could not have paid the debt. His conscience had lately been quickened by the power of the Holy Spirit.

PERSONAL EFFORT.-During the past year, a young man in this city was converted, who since that time, by personal effort, has been enabled to bring twenty-five or thirty persons into the kingdom of Christ. A

young man from Springfield, who resided in this city a short time, was converted at the Young Men's Christian Association, returned to his native city, and by personal effort has brought thirty individuals to Christ.

The last member of a Sabbath school class in this city professed religion last Sabbath. Several recent conversions, the result of personal efforts in this city, were stated to have taken place. Great would be the company of preachers, if every professor of religion would preach the word wherever he goes. Such a simultaneous effort would gather in a glorious harvest of souls.

[ocr errors]

STANDING UP FOR JESUS.—The hymn of Wesley was sung, 89th of the selection :

“ Jesus, Thy blessing and righteousness

My beauty are, my glorious dress ;
Midst flaming worlds, in these arrayed,

With joy shall I lift up my head." An interesting fact in connection with this hymn was stated.

A young lady in England, belonging to an aristocratic family, was converted by the instrumentality of the Wesleys. Her father was very much enraged. He made a party of pleasure, and told his daughter that she must play the piano for them to dance, under the penalty of being disinherited and driven from his house. The party took the floor ready to commence the dance, and she took her seat at the piano; but instead of playing a dancing tune, she sung and played this hymn. The company were greatly surprised and deeply affected.

The result was, that the father and all the family were converted, and became firm friends of the Wesleys as long as they lived. This


Christian stood up for Jesus.

CONVERSION AND ITS RESULTS.--It was stated that an intemperate seaman was converted by the agency of a daughter, fourteen years old.

She entreated her father to come to Christ, knelt down and prayed for him. This so affected him that he forsook his cups, and came to Jesus.

The following hymn, composed for the Old South Prayer-meeting, by Hodges Reed, Esq., was sung in the month of February 1859 :

From day to day, from year to year,

We in this chapel bowed,
And called upon the God of heaven,

And watched for mercy's cloud.
Seven times we watched, seven times we prayed,

And still no sign was given;
The earth beneath our feet was dust,

Above, the brazen heaven.
Faith wavered, and hope languished, too-

“ Save, or we perish, Lord!”
Then rose the cloud from out the sea,

And blessings on us poured.
Like a strong wind the Spirit came,

And breathed upon the slain ;
Fast fell the rain, and all around

The earth grew green again.
This place has been the gate of heaven-

Thy promise, Lord, is sure;
And we will still, from day to day,

Pray on, and doubt no more.
And while we pray and labour on,

The sound of rain we hear:
Again let clouds o'erspread the heavens,

And plants of grace appear.


A COUNTRYMAN CONVERTED.-An individual was invited to attend a neighbourhood prayer-meeting, consented to go, but afterwards declined. He had come from the country to the city to get rum. This he could not obtain in the place where he resided. He thought that if he should become a Christian, he must forsake intoxicating drinks. This was the reason why he declined to go the meeting. But, on the evening of that meeting, he strayed by the house where the meeting was held, and stopped on the sidewalk; he heard prayers requested for a young man who had refused to come to the meeting. He heard

« PreviousContinue »