« PreviousContinue »
on the goodnesle of God, and his gracious promises, for a supply of all such blessings boch spiritual and temporal as thou standest in need of.
I shall shew thee what it is to live the life of Faith in these ren particulars,
1. Seek unto the Lord, and daily trust and depend on him for the assistance of his holy Spirit, for Grace and strength effe&tually to enable chee, co fubdue thy corrupcions, and co morrifie all sinful vile affect.ons in chee.
Luke 11.9. And 1 fay unto you, ask, and it shall be i given you : seek, and ye shall find: knock, and it shall be opened unto
you. V.io. For every one that asketh receiveth, and be that seeketh findeth, and to bim that knock. eth it shall be opened. Vur. If a Son Mall ask bread of any of you that is a Father, will be give him a stope or if he
ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a Sero
good gifts unto your children: how much more
to them that ask him? Jam.4.5, Deye think the Scripture faith in vain, the Spirit that dwebetb in us luftetb to cavy,
V.6. But be giveth more Grace: wherefore he faith, God refifteth the proud, but giveth Grace
to the humble. 2 Cor. 12.9. And he said unto me, my Grace is Sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weaknes, most gladly therefore will i rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of
Christ may rest upon me. Rom.6.14. For fin shall not have dominion over
you, forge are not under the Law, but ander Grace.
2. Trust in him to enable chce to reGift and overcome the temptations wherewith thou shalt be assaulted from the Devil or the world.
Mac.6.13. Lead us not into ténoptation. 2 Chron.32.31. Hombeit in the businesse of the Am.
basadours of the Princes of Babylon, who fent
unto bim to enquire of the wonder that was done - in the Land, God left him, to try him, obat he
might know all that was in his beart. I Pec.5.8. Be fober, be vigilant, because your ad
versary the Devil as a roaring lion walkaho
bout seeking whom he may devour. V.9. whom refift, stedfast in the Faith. Jam.4.3.-—--Refif the Devil, and he will flee
John 2.15. Love not the world, nor the things that are in the world; if any man love she
7 world, the love of the Father is not in him.
V.16. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the last of the eies; and the pride of life, is
not of the Father. '* I John 5:4. Whatsoever is born of God overcomerb
ihe world, and this is the victory that over
cometh the world, even our Faith. John 17.15. I pray not that thon shouldft take them
Oist of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them s from the evil. V.20 Neither pray 1 for these alone, but for themi also which Mall believe on me through the it word.
3. Humbly depend on him to allilt andenaBlechree to perform all che duties both of thy general and particular calling, with fincerity, ale - ligence, and delight. - 2 Cor.3.5. Not that we are sufficient of our felves
to think any thing as of our selves, but eur fuif
ficiency is of God. - Phil.4 13. I can do all things through Christ that
ftrengthenis me. Pfal.87.7: All my spřings are in thee.
4. Trust in him to enable chee' to bear all th: affliction; he shall please co'lay upon thee, with patience, affiance in his mercy, and fubiniffioa so his will.
Prov.3.5i Trast in the Lord i
V.6, in all thy waies ackwot
thall direch thing paths.
Labour daily to live by Fail, C. Chap.s. Labour daily to live Col.I.II. Strengthened with all migkan a Pet.l.3. According as his de to his glorious power, unto al patience a
ven us all things that pertair Jaffering, with joyfulnesse
, through the knowled 1 Cor.10.13. There hath no temptation called us to knowledge and ai i .
concernment to chce.
5. As thou mult continually depends Pla, 55.22. Cafthyburder #_ thy foul stands, in need of; so likerit, fces to be moved: must depend daily on his Fatherly cr34.10.:3. O Lord I know to furnished and supplied with all such as mercies as thou ftandeftin need of for that Mat.6 11. Give us this day our daily in Plan 3.8. I will improve the
ihe Lord will give Grace and Gloni wib mine eie.
not in himself, it is not in a
direct his fteps.
Prov. 16.9. A mans beart der the Lord his steps.
which thou shalt go
Pfal.17.5. Hold up my going
Pfal 73.24. Thosphalt guide
. and afterwards receive me t Jam.1.5. If any of you lack
which is to come.
2 Pep.1.3. According as his divise power hathgia ven us all things that pertain unto
Life and God linefse, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to knowledge and vertue.
6. Humbly depend on him for direction and guidance in all thy lawful waies, and to be counsellid in difficulc cases, and matters of great concernment co chce.
Prov.3.5. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart,
and lean not unto thise own underfanding. V.6. In all thy waies acknowledge him, and be
Mall direct thy parhs. Plal
. 55.22. Caftthyburden upon the Lord, and he Shall fuftain tbee, bie shall never suffer she righ,
teous to be moved. Jer. 10.-3. O Lord I know that the wodù of 19an is
1 not in himself, it is not in man that walkethto
direct his fteps. Prov. 16.9. A mans beart deviseth his way, but
the Lord directeth his feps. Psal 32.8. i will instruct thee, and teach thee in
the way which thou shalt gó: i mill guide thee
wish mine eie. Psal.17.5. Hold up my goings in thy paths, th.it
my foot fteps flip nat. Pfal 73.24. Thos fralt gside" me with thy cosinfel, .
' and afterwards receive me to Glory: Jam.1.5. If any of you back wisdome, let him ask