« PreviousContinue »
is 3 And God said, Let us make Man
in our own Image, after our Likes
ness. OBSERV. I.
HE Trinity or Plurality of
2. A Plurality of Persons were imployed in the Creation of Man, Toys. 3. He was made in the Image of that Plurality, How many are thefe Persons ? Three.
How doth that appear? 1. In the Old Testament, 2 Sam. xxiii. 2. Psal. xxxiii. 6. Ifa. xlii. i. 2. In the New, Matt. iii. 16. 17. Luk. i. 35.
i Cor. xiii. 14.
Wherein is delivered, 1. Their Names.
1. God the Father. This none deny. : Vol. I.
2. God the Son, Job. i. 1. i Job. t. 20.
Joh. xx. 28. Phil. ii. 6, 7. Otherwise he
could not be our Saviour.
OBSERV. II. All Three Persons concurred
1. Because he was the Head of the Creation.
USE. Therefore Man is bound to Worship
5. Prayer, A&. vii. 59. Luk. xvii. 5.
7. Thankfulness, Matt. xi. 25.
OBSERV. III. Man was made in the Image
I. In his Nature. His Soul beings
3. Endowed with Free-will, Deut. XXX. 19.
4. Capable of the Enjoyment of God,
5. Immortal, Matt. xxv. 46.
1. In his Mind, knowing God. Fob. xvii. 3.
2. In his Will, chusing God as his chiefest
In his Affections and Inclinations,
Psal. lxxiii. 25.
1. Because he was made Happy.
tures, Gen, i. 28. Use. 1. Admire the Goodness of GOD in our Creation, Psal. c. 1, 2, 3.
2. Bewail our Loss of this Image.
3. Endeavour to have it repaired, Epb. iv 24. 1. Be sensible of
Lofs. 2. Believe on Jesus Chrift, 1 Cor. i. 30. 3. Frequent Publick Ordinances,Rom. X. 171 4. Maintain your Authority over, and be
not subject to the World. Ś. Live up according to that Image you
were made in.
luise of ResumeG e n. xlix. 10.
. The Scepter shall not depart from fuo
* M ,
AN being fallen from GOD, could not
recover himself. 2. Hence the Son of GOD undertook to Redeem him.
3. To do this, he was to become Man.
4. Hence a Time was set when he should become Man, Gal. iv. 4.
5. Before he came, GOD revealed him to his people, Gen. iii. 15. c. xii. 2, 3. c. xxii. 18. To the Gentiles, Job xix. 25. Numb. xxiv. 17. To the Jews, Ifa. vii
. 14. c. ix. 6. 6. Not only his Person, but the Time also of his Appearing, was revealed.
7. There are Three Places especially that determine the Time.
1. Mal. iii. 1. Hag. ii. 9.
3. Gen. xlix. 10.
3. By Judah, the Tribe : 2 Reg. xvii. Sal maneler having carried the Ten away Captive.
4. By Lawgiver, Qui jus dicit.
ś. By, from between his Legs, his Pofterity born of him.
6. By Shilo, Messiab.
. .Onkel ,עד דייתי משיחא ודיליה היא מלכותא
.Rab. Becbaj ,הזכיר יעקוב משיח בשם שילה
,שילה זהמלך המטוס
תבין ליקהת אם .17 .Prou. XXX
So also Abrabenell.
7. By the gathering of the People to him,
To shew when the Prophecy thus explain'd
was fulfilled : Consider,
So Eusebius, Hist. 1. 1. c. 6.
Herodiant Herodem regem fufcepere pro Chrifto.
-be,סהררין הגדרלה & סנהדרין קטנה ,Sanhedrin
fore which Herod himself was brought, and
But he after, Πάντας απέκλεινε τες και τα συνε-
But this Sanhedrim was taken away,
Years before 40 ,ארבעים שנה קודם חורבן הבית
the Destruction of the Temple, David Ganfius, and · Talmud. And so, just when our Saviour appeared in the World, Job. xviii. 31,