« PreviousContinue »
V. OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Promises of the Holy Spirit, and gift of-Operations, influence, teachings-Deity of Resisting and grieving-Inspiring the Scriptures-Inviting to salvation. (Note) In the texts marked thus, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are particularly mentioned.
1. Was the Holy Spirit promised in the Old Testament?
This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel, And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh. (2 Ac. 16, 17.) (2 Joel 28 to 32.)
2. What did John the Baptist say as to the descent of the Holy Spirit on Christ?
I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him, and I knew him not; but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. (1 John, 32, 33.)
3. Did Christ encourage his disciples to expect the Holy Spirit?
*If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him. (11 Lk. 13.)
4. What promise did Christ give his disciples, when he was about to leave them?
* I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (14 Jn. 16, 17.)
5. Was this promise fulfilled on the day of Pentecost?
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. (2 Ac. 4.)
6. How did St.Peter repeat the promise of the Holy Spirit to those who were " pricked in their heart?"
Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (2 Ac. 38.)
7. Does the natural man receive the things of the Spirit of God?
The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (I. Cor. 2. 14.) 8. Where is our help and salvation to be obtained?
Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of Hosts. (4 Zec. 6.)
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. (3 Tit. 5.)
9. How is the Gospel rightly received?
Our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurancehaving received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost, (I Thes. 1. 5, 6.)
10. By whom may we draw nigh to God?
We have access by one Spirit unto the Father. (2 Eph. 18.)
11. Does the Holy Spirit assist in prayer?
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities, for we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us, with groanings which cannot be uttered. (8 Ro. 26.)
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit. (6 Eph. 18.)
12. Does the Holy Spirit sanctify the mind?
* God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth, whereunto he called you, by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (II. Thes. 2. 13, 14.)
13. Who are the sons of God?
As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God, for ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry Abba, Father. The Spirit itself also beareth witness with our Spirit, that we are the children of God. (8Ro,14to16.)
14. Does the Spirit operate on the heart?
* Hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost, which is given unto us; for when we were yet without strength, in due time, Christ died for the ungodly. (5 Ro. 5, 6.)
15. Does the Spirit of God dwell in his people?
What! Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God. (I. Cor. 6. 19.)
Hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. (I. Jn. 3. 24.)
16. What is the curse of the carnal, and the blessing of the spiritual?
He that soweth to his flesh, shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. (6 Gal. 8.)
17. What is the fruit of the Spirit?
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (5 Gal. 22, 23, 25.) The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth. (5 Eph. 9.)
18. What was the apostle's prayer for the Ephesian Christians?
*That He would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith. (3 Eph. 16, 17.)
19. What did Christ say of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (12 Mt. 31.)
20. What was Christ's commission to his disciples?
* Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (28 Mt. 19.)
21. What is the apostolical benediction?"
*The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost be with you all. Amen. (II. Cor. 13. 14.)
"The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (See verse 14.)
22. How did St. Peter reprove Ananias for his awful sin?
Why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost. -Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. (5 Ac. 3,4.) 23. How is the Holy Spirit mentioned by the apostle in connexion with the sacrifice of Christ?
* How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit, offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works, to serve the living God. (9 Heb. 14.)
24. How did the Israelites of old act towards God's Holy Spirit?
They rebelled and vexed his Holy Spirit. (63 Is. 10.) 25. What did Stephen say of their continuing this sin; and how was he supported?
* Ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your fathers did, so do ye.-He, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God. (7 Ac. 51, 55.)
26. What cautions are given to guard against offending the Holy Spirit?
Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (4 Eph. 30.)
Quench not the Spirit. (I. Thes. 5, 19.)
27. How does the wilful sinner dare to act towards the Holy Spirit?
And hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace. (10Heb.29.)
28. Did the Holy Spirit speak by the ancient prophets?
Well spake the Holy Ghost, by Esaias the prophet, unto our fathers. (28 Ac. 25.)