« PreviousContinue »
2. As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward of his work:
3. So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.
4. When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.
x. 20. Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I may take comfort a little.
xv. 15. All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn to dust again.
16. If now thou hast understanding, hear these words.
Psalm xcii. 1. It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD : and to sing praises unto thy Name, 0 most Highest;
2. To tell of thy loving-kindness early in the morning : and of thy truth in the night-season;
3. Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the lute : upon a loud instrument, and upon the harp.
4. For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy works : and I will rejoice in giving praise for the operations of thy hands.
cxlv. 3. Great is the LORD, and worthy to be praised : there is no end of his greatness.
xxxiv. 3. O praise the LORD with me : and let us magnify his name together. Hallelujah.
[PURCELL, Hall, TRAVERS, KENT,
PSALM cxxii. 1. I was glad when they said unto me : We will go into the house of the LORD.
2. Our feet shall stand in thy gates : 0 Jerusalem.
3. Jerusalem is built as a city : that is at unity in itself.
4. For thither the tribes go up, even the tribes of the LORD : to testify unto Israel, to give thanks unto the Name of the LORD.
5. For there is the seat of judgment : even the eat of the house of David.
6. O pray for the peace of Jerusalem : they shall prosper that love thee.
7. Peace be within thy walls : and plenteousness within thy palaces.
8. For my brethren and companions' sakes : I will wish thee prosperity.
9. Yea, because of the house of the LORD our God: I will seek to do thee good.
lxxxiv. 1. O how amiable are thy dwellings : thou LORD of hosts !
2. My soul hath a desire and longing to enter into the courts of the LORD : my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
4. Blessed are they that dwell in thy house : they will be alway praising thee. Hallelujah.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
[WISE, PURCELL, Blow, PERGOLESI, BOYCE,
DUPUIS, MATTHEWS, ATTWOOD.
REVELATION i. 10. I was in the Spirit on the LORD's day,
xix. 1. And I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Hallelujah; salvation, and glory, and honour, and power unto the LORD our God.
2, 3. For true and righteous are his judgments : and again they said, Hallelujah.
4. And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down, and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; and again they said, Hallelujah.
5. And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.
6. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Hallelujah : for the LORD God omnipotent reigneth.
7. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him ; for the marriage of the Lamb is come. Hallelujah.
18, 19. I will arise, and go to my father, and will say, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
[CREYGHTON, MARSH, CLARKE WHITFIELD.
PSALM xviii. 1. I will love thee, O LORD, my strength : the Lord is my strong rock, and my defence, my Saviour, my God, and my might, in whom I will trust; my buckler, the horn also of my salvation, and my refuge.
2. I will call upon the LORD, which is worthy to be praised : so shall I be safe from mine enemies.
3. The sorrows of death compassed me : and the overflowings of ungodliness made me afraid.
4. The pains of hell came about me : the snares of death overtook me.
5. In my trouble I will call upon the LORD : and complain unto my God.
6. So shall he hear my voice out of his holy temple : and my complaint shall come before him, it shall enter even into his ears.
7. The earth trembled and quaked : the very foundations also of the hills shook, and were removed, because he was wroth.
13. The LORD also thundered out of heaven, and the Highest gave his thunder : hail-stones, and coals of fire.
16. He shall send down from on high to fetch me : and shall take me out of
waters. 17. He hath delivered me from my strongest enemy : and from them that hate me.
21. Because I have kept the ways of the LORD : and have not forsaken
God. 39. He hath girded me with strength unto the battle : he hath thrown down mine enemies under
50. For this cause will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD : and sing praises unto thy Name.
51. Great prosperity gives he unto his King : and sheweth loving-kindness unto David, his anointed, and to his seed for evermore. Amen.
[HOLMES, J. CLARKE.
PSALM Xviii. 1. I will love thee, O LORD, my strength; the LORD is my defence, my strength and my redeemer : O LORD, my Saviour and my God.
xxxiv. 2. My soul shall make her boast of the LORD : the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.
4. I sought the LORD, and he heard me : yea, he delivered me out of all my fear.
19. Great are the troubles of the righteous : but the LORD delivereth them out of all.
11. Come, ye children, and hearken unto me, I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
13. Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips that they speak no guile.
xxiii. 4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff comfort me.
xliii. 3. Send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling:
xxxv. 18. So shall we rejoice in the great congregation : we will praise thee among much people. Amen.
PSALM cxlv, 1. I will magnify thee, O God, my King : and I will praise thy Name for ever and ever.
2. Every day will I give thanks unto thee : and praise thy name for ever and ever.
3. Great is the LORD, and marvellous, worthy to be praised : there is no end of his greatness.
4. One generation shall praise thy works unto another : and declare thy power.
5. As for me, I will be talking of thy worship : thy glory, thy praise, and wondrous works;
6. So that men shall speak of the might of thy marvellous acts: and I will also tell of thy greatness.
7. The memorial of thine abundant kindness shall be shewed : and men shall sing of thy righteousness.
10. All thy works praise thee, O LORD : and thy saints give thanks unto thee.
11. They shew the glory of thy kingdom : and talk of thy great power;
12. That thy power, thy glory, and mightiness of thy kingdom : might be known unto men.
13. Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom : and thy dominion endureth throughout all ages.
14. The LORD upholdeth all such as fall : and lifteth up all those that are down.
xxi. 13. Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength : so will we sing and praise thy power. Hallelujah. Amen.
[TUCKER, Croft, HINE, MARTIN SMITH, GREENE,
TRAVERS, HANDEL, BOYCE, DUPUIS, P. HAYES,
PSALM XXX. 1. I will magnify thee, O LORD : for thou, O LORD, hast set me up, and made me to triumph in thy salvation.
15. Comfort us again : be merciful unto us, now after the time of our distress.