« PreviousContinue »
23. Try me, prove me, examine my thoughts, and seek the ground of my heart.
24. Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me : and lead me in the way everlasting.
PSALM Xxxvi. 7. How excellent is thy mercy, O God! the children of men shall put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
xxxiv. 22. The LORD delivereth the souls of his servants, and all they that put their trust in him shall not be destitute.
x. 13. Arise, O LORD God, lift up thine hand, forget not the poor.
xx. 1. The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble, the Name of the God of Jacob defend thee.
x. 16. Take the matter into thy hand : the poor committeth himself unto thee; for thou art the helper of the friendless.
ix. 10. And they that know thy Name put their trust in thee; for thou, LORD, hast never failed them that seek thee. Hallelujah.
ISAIAH lii. 7. How beautiful are the feet of him that bringeth glad tidings of salvation, that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! 9. Break forth into joy, thy God reigneth.
Must I for ever mourn?
O never to return?
LORD, consider my desire, for I have put my trust in thee : let my supplication come before thee, O my God, for thy law is my delight.
O put your trust in God, O ye people : pour out your hearts before him, for God is our hope and strength. Sing to the LORD and praise his Name.
The LORD JEHOVAH is our strength and our song : he is also become our salvation.
1. How excellent thy Name, O LORD!
In all the world is known.
Thou 'st set thy glorious throne.
power among the nations, and wondrous works proclaim.
The great JEHOVAH is our awful theme,
[Pitt from HANDEL,
19. How are the mighty fallen ! he that was great among the nations, and prince of the provinces.
Job xxix. 11. When the ear heard him, then it blessed him; and when the eye saw him, it gave
witness of him.
12. He delivered the poor that cried, the fatherless, and him that had none to help him.
Kindness, meekness, and comfort were in his tongue ; if there was any virtue, and if there was any praise, he thought on those things.
Ecclus. xliv. 14. His body is buried in peace, but his name liveth evermore.
FROM THE BURIAL SERVICE. I am the resurrection and the life, saith the LORD: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another. We brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the Name of the LORD. Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay. In the midst of life we are in death : of whom may we seek succour but of thee, O LORD, who for our sins art justly displeased? Yet, O LORD God most holy, O Lord most mighty, O holy and most merciful Saviour, deliver us not into the bitter pains of eternal death. Thou knowest, LORD, the secrets of our hearts; shut not thy merciful ears to our prayers; but spare us, Lord most holy, O God most mighty, O holy and merciful Saviour, thou most worthy Judge eternal, suffer us not, at our last hour, for any pains of death, to fall from thee. Amen.
I heard a voice from heaven, saying unto me, Write, From henceforth blessed are the dead which die in the LORD: even so saith the Spirit; for they rest from their labours. Amen. [CROFT, HOLMES.
JOHN xi. 25. I am the resurrection and the life, saith the LORD: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live;
26. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.
Ps. xxxix. 1. I said, I will take heed unto my ways, that I offend not with my tongue.
2. I will keep my mouth as it were with a bridle, while the ungodly is in my sight.
3. I held my tongue and spake nothing; I kept silence, yea, even from good words ; but it was pain and grief to me.
4. My heart was hot within me, and while I sat musing the fire kindled, and at the last 1 spake with my tongue,
5. LORD, let me know my end, and the number of my days, that I may be certified how long I have to live : 14. For I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, my
fathers were. 15. O spare me a little, that I may recover my strength, before I go hence and be no more seen.
PSALM cxvi. 1. I am well pleased : that the LORD hath heard the voice of my prayer ;
2. That he hath inclined his ear unto me : therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
3. The snares of death compassed me round about : and the pains of hell gat hold upon me.
4. I shall find trouble and heaviness, and I will call upon the Name of the LORD : 0 LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.
5. Gracious is the LORD, and righteous : yea, our God is merciful.
6. The Lord preserveth the simple. : I was in misery, and he helped me.
7. Turn again then unto thy rest, O my soul : for the LORD hath rewarded thee.
8. And why? thou hast delivered my soul from death mine
eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
2. I will walk before the LORD : in the land of the living
12. I will receive the cup of salvation : and call upon
the Name of the LORD. 16. I will pay my vows unto the LORD, in the sight of his people : in the courts of the LORD's house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Hallelujah.
[ALDRICH from CARISSIMI, NARES, STEVENSON.
REVELATION yü. 9. I BEHELD, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, which stood before the throne, clothed with white robes, and palms were in their hands.
10. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, Hallelujah; salvation to our God, which sitteth on the throne, and unto the Lamb.
13. And I heard a voice, saying, What are these which are arrayed in white robes ? and whence came they?
14. These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15. Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple.
11. And all the angels who stood round the throne, and the elders, with the four beasts, fell down before the throne, and worshipped God, saying, Hallelujah :
12. Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen. Hallelujah.
EPHESIANS üi. 14. I bow my knee unto the Father of our LORD JESUS CHRIST,
15. Of whom the whole family of the earth is named,
16. That he will grant me, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man.