« PreviousContinue »
5. Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me : and an horrible dread hath overwhelmed me.
6. And I said, O that I had wings like a dove : then would I flee away and be at rest.
[BATTEN, HOLMES, STROUD, KENT, NORRIS,
BATTISHILL, CARTER, J. CAMIDGE.
Psalm lv. 1. HEAR my prayer, O GOD :
cxix. 170. And let my supplication come before thee.
xxxv. 1. Plead thou my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me : and fight thou against them that fight against me.
2. Lay hand upon the shield and buckler : and stand
up to help me. 3. Bring forth the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me.
23. Avenge thou my cause, my God and my LORD. xx. 9. Save, LORD, and hear us, O King of heaven : when we call thee.
lxxi. 14. We will go forth in the strength of the LORD God.
xliv. 6. Through thee will we overthrow our enemies : and in thy Name will we tread them under that rise up against us.
cxxiv. 7. Our help standeth in the name of the LORD our God : who hath made heaven and earth.
PSALM XXX. 11. HEAR, O LORD, and have mercy upon me : LORD, be thou my helper.
12. Thou hast turned my heaviness into joy : thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with glad
13. Therefore shall every good man sing of thy praise without ceasing : 0 my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. Hallelujah.
PSALM xvii. 1. HEAR, O LORD, and consider my complaint : give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. 5. O hold up my goings in thy paths :
8, 9. And hide me from the ungodly that trouble me to take away my
soul. 16. As for me, I will behold thy presence in righteousness : and when I awake up after thy likeness, I shall be satisfied with it.
9. Mine enemies compass me round about to take away my soul.
13. Up, LORD, disappoint them, and cast them down.
Psalm cxliii. 7. Hear me, O Lord, for my spirit waxeth faint : hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
8. O let me hear thy loving-kindness early in the morning, for in thee is my trust : shew me the way that I should walk in, for I lift up my soul unto thee. Shew me the way, &c.
Psalm lxix. 17. Hear me, O LORD, for thy loving-kindness is comfortable : turn thee unto me, for I am in trouble.
xc. 15. Comfort us again; be merciful unto us now after the time of our distress,
xxx. 12. Thou hast turned my heaviness into joy : for in the multitude of the sorrows that I had in
my heart, thy comforts have refreshed my soul.
13. Therefore shall every good man sing of thy praise without ceasing : 0 God, we will give thanks for evermore.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
PSALM lxix. 17. Hear me, O LORD, for thy loving-kindness : turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
31. I will praise the name of God with a song. Hear me, for thy loving-kindness, O hear me, O LORD my God. Hallelujah. Amen.
Psalm lxxx. 1. HEAR, O thou Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a sheep : shew thyself also, thou that sittest upon the cherubims.
8. Turn us again, O God: shew the light of thy countenance, and we shall be whole.
4. O LORD God of hosts : how long wilt thou be angry with thy people that prayeth?
5. Thou feedest them with the bread of tears : and givest them plenteousness of tears to drink.
7. Turn us again, O God of hosts : shew the light of thy countenance, and we shall be whole.
8. Thou hast brought a vine out of Egypt: thou hast cast out the heathen, and planted it.
10. The hills were covered with the shadow of it: and the boughs thereof were like the goodly cedar trees.
11. She stretched out her branches unto the sea : and her boughs unto the river.
12. Why hast thou then broken down her hedge : that all they that go by pluck off her grapes
s ? 14. Turn thee again, thou God of hosts : behold and visit this vine.
17. Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand : and
upon the son of man, whom thou madest so strong for thine own self.
18. And so will not we go back from thee : 0 let us live, and we shall call upon thy Name.
lxxix. 9. Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy Name : 0 deliver us, and be merciful unto our sins, for thy Name's sake.
[WOODWARD, ARNOLD, ALCOCK, BECKWITH sen.,
RUSSELL, CLARKE WHITFIELD, WALMISLEY.
Isaiah i. 2. Hear, O heavens, and give ear, 0 earth: I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
4. Ah sinful nation, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger.
16. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes : cease to do
17. Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18. Come now, let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
PSALM lxxix. 9. Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name : 0 deliver us, and be thou merciful unto our sins, for thy Name's sake. Amen.
PSALM iv. 1. HEAR me when I call, O God of my righteousness : thou hast set me at liberty when I was in trouble; have mercy upon me, and hearken unto my prayer.
5. Offer the sacrifice of righteousness : and put your trust in the LORD.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
(EBDON, WALMISLEY from Hummel.
2 CHRONICLES vi. 19. Hear the voice and prayer of thy servants which they make before thee this day:
20. That thine eyes may be open towards this house day and night, ever towards this place of which thou hast said, My Name shall be there.
21. And when thou hearest, have mercy upon them.
PSALM lxxxi. 9. Hear my law, O my people, and I will assure thee, O Israel, if thou wilt hearken unto me.
10. There shall no strange god be in thee, neither shalt thou worship any other god.
11. I am the LORD thy God, that brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth, and I shall fill it.
12. But my people would not hear my voice, and Israel would not obey me. 13. So I
unto their own heart's lusts, and let them follow their own imaginations.
14. O that my people would have hearkened unto me, for if Israel had walked in my ways ! 15. I should soon have put down their enemies.
PSALM lix. 14. HEAR me, O God, in the multitude of thy mercy : they that are mine enemies are mighty.
18. Hide not thy face from thy servant, o haste thee and hear me !
lxxi. 3. Deliver me out of the hand of the ungodly : out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
8. Cast me not away in the time of my age, forsake me not when my strength faileth.
xxvii. 11. Thou hast been my succour, O leave me not, forsake me not, O God of my salvation.
lxxi. 1. In thee, O LORD, I put my trust, turn thee unto me, have mercy upon me; so will I thank thee with my whole heart, and praise thy name for ever