« PreviousContinue »
youth : but according to thy mercy think thou upon me, O LORD, for thy goodness. LORD, remember David, teach him to know thy
ways, O guide his tongue with meekness daily to sing thy
praise. Matt. xxv. 46. The righteous shall go into life eternal.
Luke ii. 14. Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good-will towards men. Hallelujah.
[FARRANT, NARES, BATTISHILL, J. CORFE and
ROMANS vi. 9. CHRIST being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10. For in that he died, he died unto sin onoe : but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin: but alive unto God, through Jesus Christ our LORD.
1 Cor. xv. 20. Christ is risen from the dead, and become the first-fruits of them that slept.
21. For since by man came death ; by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
22. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
ISAIAH lx. 1. COMFORT ye, comfort ye my people, saith your GOD.
2. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned.
3. The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
4. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill made low: the crooked straight, and the rough places plain.
5. And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
vii. 14. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear à son, and shall call his name Immanuel, “God with us.”
xl. 9. O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion, get thee up into the high mountain : 0 thou that tellest good tidings to Jerusalem, lift up thy voice with strength: lift it up, be not afraid: say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
lx. 1. 0 thou that tellest good tidings to Zion, arise, shine, for thy light is come: and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.
[Pitt and others, from HANDEL.
MATTHEW xi. 28. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
[HANDEL, JACKSON, J. S. Smith.
PSALM xxxiv. 11. Come, ye children, and hearken unto me : I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
12. What man is he that lusteth to live : and would fain see good days?
13. Keep thy tongue from evil : and thy lips, that they speak no guile.
14. Eschew evil, and do good : seek peace, and ensue it.
15. The eyes of the LORD are over the righteous : and his ears are open unto their prayers.
8. O taste, and see, how gracious the LORD is : blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Hallelujah. Amen.
[GOLDWIN, J. CORFE from STEFFANI.
Micah iv. 2. Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob : and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths.
J. S. SMITH.
PSALM xiii. 3. CONSIDER and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten minereyes, O LORD, that I sleep not in death.
PSALM cvii. 28. Cry unto the Lord in your trouble, and he will deliver you out of all your distress.
31. 0 that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and declare the wonders that he doeth for the children of men.
22. That they would offer unto him the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and tell out his works with gladness. 31. 0 that men &c.
ISAIAH xü. 6. CRY aloud and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion; for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.
Ps. cxlvii. 3. He healeth those that are broken in heart, and giveth them medicine to heal their sick
5. Great is our Lord, and great is his power, yea, and his wisdom is infinite.
Is. xii. 5. Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath done excellent things; this is known in all the earth.
Ps. lxviii. 4. Praise him in his name JEHOVAH, and rejoice before him. Amen. [BECKWITH, sen.
LUKE xxiii. 28. DAUGHTERS of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
29. For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.
30. Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.
31. For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?
xiii. 34. O Jerusalem! Jerusalem! which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Luke xix. 42. If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace; but now they are hid
from thine eyes. xxiii. 34. Father forgive them; O forgive them, for they know not what they do. Amen. [Pring.
PSALM evi. 45. DELIVER us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the heathen : that we may give thanks unto thy holy Name, and make our boast of thy praise.
46. Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, from everlasting, and world without end : and let all the people [GIBBONS, BATTEN, Hall jun., Croft, BATTISHILL.
Psalm lix. 1. DELIVER me from mine enemies, O God, defend me from them that rise up against me.
9. My strength will I'ascribe unto, thee, for thou art the God of my refuge.
Is. xxv. 1. O LORD my God, I will exalt thee and praise thy Name.
PSALM lix. 1. DELIVER me, O God, from mine enemies, and save me from them that rise up against me.
2. Deliver me from wicked doers, and from bloodthirsty men.
3. For lo! they lie waiting for my soul : the mighty men are gathered against me.
4. Arise thou then to help me, and behold.
17. My strength will I ascribe to thee; unto thee will I sing : for thou, O God, art my refuge, and my merciful God.
[Said to be by Tallis.
PSALM Cxxv. 4. Do well, O LORD, unto those that are good, and true of heart.
5. As for such as turn back unto their own wickedness, the LORD shall lead them forth with evil-doers : but peace shall be upon Israel. Hallelujah.
PSALM cxliii. 2. Enter not into judgment with thy servant, O LORD : for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
PSALM cxxvii. 1. EXCEPT the LORD build the house : their labour is but lost that build it.
2. Except the LORD keep the city : the watchman waketh but in vain.