« PreviousContinue »
Psalm li. 15. Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord : and my mouth shall shew thy praise. Hallelujah.
1 TIMOTHY i. 15. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that CHRIST JESUS came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
JOHN i. 10. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God.
Luke ii. 14. Glory to God in the highest, peace on earth, good will towards men.
PSALM iii. 3. Thou, O LORD, art my defender, thou art my worship: and the lifter up of my head.
4. I did call upon the LORD : and he heard me out of his holy hill. Amen. [WEBBE and CookE.
494 FROM THE FORM OF PRAYER TO BE USED AT SEA.
Thou, O LORD, art just and powerful : O defend our cause against the face of the enemy.
O LORD, fight for us : that we may glorify thy holy Name,
Thou art the great God that hast made and rulest all things: 0 deliver us for thy Name's sake.
O LORD, fight for us: 0 LORD, arise and help us.
O save us ; so will we praise thy holy Name : for thou art great, and to be feared. Amen.
PSALM lxi. 5. Thou, O Lord, hast heard my desires : and hast given an heritage unto those that fear thy Name.
6. Thou, LORD, shalt grant the Queen a long life : that her years may endure throughout all generations.
lxxii. 7. In her time shall the righteous flourish : yea, and abundance of peace so long as the moon endures.
8. Her dominion shall be also from the one sea to the other. lxi. 7. She shall dwell before God for ever : 0
prepare thy loving mercy and faithfulness, that they may
cxxxii. 19. As for her enemies, clothe them with shame : but upon herself let her crown flourish.
Psalm lxxi. 17. Thy righteousness, O God, is very high : and great things are they that thou hast done ; O GOD, who is like unto thee?
18. O what great troubles and adversities hast thou shewed me and yet didst thou turn and refresh me : yea, and broughtest me from the deep of the earth again.
19. Thou hast brought me to great honour : and comforted me on every
side. 20. Therefore will I praise thee and thy faithfulness, O God, playing upon an instrument of music unto thee will I sing upon the harp, 0 thou Holy One of Israel.
21. My lips shall be fain when I sing unto thee and so will my soul, whom thou hast delivered.
22. My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long : for they are confounded and brought to shame that seek to do me evil.
DANIEL ix. 9, 10. To the LORD our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him. Neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in his laws which he set before us.
Joel ii. 13. Rend your heart and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God; for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness.
Ps.li. 17. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
v. 13. Thou, LORD, wilt give thy blessing unto the righteous : and wilt defend them as with a shield.
PSALM cxxxix. 23. Try me, O God, and seek the ground of my heart : prove me, and examine my thoughts.
24. Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me : and lead me in the way everlasting. Amen. :
[CROFT, GREENE, NARES, P. HAYES, J. S. SMITH.
ISAIAH xxvi. 4. Trust ye in the LORD for ever, for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.
xl. 21. Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning?
22. It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, that stretcheth out the heavens like a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.
26. Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things !
29. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Hab. iii. 17. Although the fig-tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines : the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat;
the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls :
18. Yet will I rejoice in the LORD: I will joy in the God of my salvation. Hallelujah. Amen.
[BECKWITH sen., J. S. Smith.
Psalm li. 9. TURN thy face from my sins : and put out all my misdeeds.
10. Make me a clean heart, O GOD : and renew a right spirit within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy presence : and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
12. O give me the comfort of thy help again : and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
17. The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit : a broken and a contrite heart thou wilt not despise.
[KING, ATTWOOD, Penson from A. LOTTI.
PSALM XXV. 15. Turn thee unto me, O LORD, and have mercy upon me : for I am desolate and in misery.
16. The sorrows of my heart are enlarged : 0 bring thou me out of my troubles.
17. Look upon my adversity and misery : and forgive me all
sin. 18. Consider mine enemies how many they are : and they bear a tyrannous hate against me.
19. O keep my soul, and deliver me : let me not be confounded, for I have put my trust in thee.
PSALM XC. 13. Turn thee again, O LORD, at the last : and be gracious unto thy servants.
14. 0 satisfy us with thy mercy : and that soon.
15. Comfort us again now after the time that thou hast plagued us : and for the years wherein we have suffered adversity.
16. Shew thy servants thy work : and their children thy glory
17. And the glorious Majesty of the LORD our God be
upon us : prosper thou the work of our hands upon us, 0 prosper thou our handy-work.
[NARES, ATTWOOD, PYE.
Psalm vi. 4. Turn thee, O Lord, and deliver my soul : 0 save me for thy mercy's sake.
5. For in death no man remembereth thee : and who will give thee thanks in the pit?
2, 3. O LORD, have mercy upon me, for I am weak, and my soul also is sore troubled : but, LORD, how long wilt thou punish me?
9. The LORD hath heard my petition : the LORD will receive my prayer.
(HANDEL, GREVILLE, GARTH.
Psalm lxxx. 14. Turn thee again, thou God of hosts : look, down from heaven.
Ixxix, 8. O remember not our old sins, but have mercy upon us : for we are come to great misery.
9. Help us, O God of our salvation : for the glory of thy Name.
PSALM XXV. 1. Unto thee, O LORD, will I lift up my soul; my God, I have put my trust in thee : 0 let me not be confounded, neither let mine enemies triumph over