« PreviousContinue »
Thine Israel from sin defend ;
On thee our constant hopes depend.
JOB xxviii. 12. O WHERE shall wisdom be found ? and where is the place of understanding ?
13. Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living.
14. The depth saith, It is not in me: and the sea saith, It is not with me.
15. It cannot be gotten for gold, neither shall silver be weighed for the price thereof.
18. No mention shall be made of coral, or of pearls : for the price of wisdom is above rubies.
20. Whence then cometh wisdom ? and where is the place of understanding ?
21. Seeing it is hid from the eyes of all living.
23. God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof.
24. For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven ;
25. To make the weight for the winds ; and he weigheth the waters by measure.
26. When he made a decree for the rain, and a way for the lightning of the thunder :
27. Then did he see it, and declare it; he prepared it, yea, and searched it out.
28. And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding
PSALM xcvi. 9. O WORSHIP the Lord in the beauty of holiness : let the whole earth stand in awe of him.
10. Tell it out among the heathen that the LORD is King : and that it is he who hath made the round world so fast that it cannot be moved ; and how that he shall judge the people righteously.
11. Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad : let the sea make a noise, and all that therein is.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
[HANDEL, W. Hayes, C. WESLEY.
PSALM lxxi. 18. O what troubles and adversities hast thou shewed me : yet didst thou turn and refresh me.
xvi. 10. Wherefore my heart was glad, and my glory rejoiced : my flesh also shall rest in hope.
cxix. 5. O that my ways were made so direct, that I might keep thy statutes !
li. 13. Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked : and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
cxliv. 15. Happy are the people that are in such a case : yea, blessed are the people who have the LORD for their God.
ISAIAH Xl. 9. O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain; 0 Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength ; lift it up, be not afraid ; say unto the cities of Judah, Behold your God!
10. Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him ; his reward is with him, and his work before him.
11. He shall feed his flock like a shepherd, and he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young
Is. xii. 4. Praise the LORD, call upon his Name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his Name is exalted.
5. Sing unto the LORD, for he hath done excellent things; this is known to all the earth. Hallelujah. Amen.
PSALM XXXV. 1. PLEAD thou my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me : and fight against them that fight against me.
24. Judge me, O LORD my God, according to thy righteousness, and let them not triumph over me.
Ivii. 10. I will give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the people, and I will sing unto thee among the nations.
11. For the greatness of thy mercy reacheth unto the heavens : and thy truth unto the clouds.
[Pratt from MOZART.
PSALM V. 1. PONDER my words, O LORD : consider my meditation.
2. O hearken thou unto the voice of my calling, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I make my prayer.
3. My voice shalt thou hear betimes, O LORD : early in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
4. For thou art the God that hast no pleasure in wickedness : neither shall any evil dwell with thee.
5. Such as be foolish shall not stand in thy sight : for thou hatest all them that work vanity.
6. Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing : the LORD will abhor both the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
7. But as for me, I will come into thine house, even upon the multitude of thy mercy : and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
8. Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness, because of mine enemies : make thy way plain before my face.
11. Destroy thine enemies, O God, let them perish in their own imaginations : cast them out in the multitude of their ungodliness.
12. And let all them that put their trust in thee rejoice : they shall ever be giving of thanks, because thou defendest them; they that love thy Name shall be joyful in thee.
13. For thou, LORD, wilt give thy blessing unto the righteous : and with thy favourable kindness wilt thou defend him as with a shield.
vi. 3. My soul also is sore troubled : but, LORD, how long wilt thou punish me?
4. Turn thee, O LORD, and deliver my soul : 0 save me for thy mercy's sake.
9. The LORD hath heard my petition : the LORD will receive my prayer.
lxxx. 1. Hear, O thou Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a sheep : unto thee will I make my prayer.
xiii. 5. For my trust is in thy mercy : and my heart is joyful in thy salvation.
lxxvii. 13. Thy way, O God, is holy : who is so great a GoD as our God? Hallelujah.
[GOLDWIN, WELDON, GREENE, TRAVERS, BOYCE,
DUPUIS, AYLWARD, BECKWITH, PORTER, J. CORFE and HANDEL, Davy.
PSALM evi. 1. PRAISE the LORD, for he is gracious, and his mercy endureth for ever.
2. Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD : who can shew forth all his praise?
4. O remember me, O LORD, with the favour that thou bearest unto thy people. O visit me, O LORD, with thy salvation.
PSALM ciii. 1. PRAISE the LORD, O my soul.
cxlviii. 1. O praise the LORD of heaven : praise him in the height. Amen.
ISAIAH xij. 4. PRAISE the LORD, call upon his Name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his Name is exalted.
Ps. lxiii. 5. Thus will I bless thee while I live : I will lift up my hands in thy Name.
Rev. vii. 12. Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and power, and
honour, and might, be unto our God, for ever and ever. Amen. [SMITH.
Psalm ciii. 1. PRAISE the LORD, O my soul : and all that is within me, praise his holy Name.
2. Praise the LORD, O‘my soul : and forget not all his benefits;
3. Who forgiveth all thy sin : and healeth all thine infirmities;
4. Who saveth thy life from destruction : and crowneth thee with mercy and loving-kindness.
13. Yea, like as a father pitieth his own children : even so is the LORD merciful unto them that fear him.
14. For he knoweth whereof we are made : he remembereth that we are but dust.
17. The merciful goodness of the LORD endureth for ever and ever : and his truth from generation to generation.
20. O praise the LORD, ye angels of his, ye that excel in strength : ye that fulfil his commandment, and hearken unto the voice of his words.
21. O praise the LORD, all ye his hosts : ye servants of his that do his pleasure.