« PreviousContinue »
17. Incline thine ear, O Lord, and hear; open thine
eyes, O LORD, and see: 0 LORD God, save us, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that thou art the LORD, even thou alone.
PSALM lxxx. : 4. O LORD God of hosts : how long wilt thou be angry with thy people that prayeth?
5. Thou feedest them with the bread of tears : and givest them plenteousness of tears to drink.
6. Thou hast made us a very strife unto our neighbours : and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
7. Turn us again, thou God of hosts : shew the light of thy countenance, and we shall be whole.
17. Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand : and
the Son of man whom thou madest so strong for thyself.
18. And so will we not go back from thee : 0 let us live, and we shall call upon thy Name.
xliv. 24. Wherefore hidest thou thy face : and forgettest our misery and trouble ?
iv. 7. LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us. O LORD, save the king.
xli. 2. The LORD preserve him and keep him alive, that he may be blessed upon
earth. 7. O prepare thy loving mercy and faithfulness : that they may preserve him.
xc. 14. O satisfy us with thy mercy, and that soon.
xxi. 13. So will we sing and praise thy Name, O thou Most Highest.
(PURCELL, DUPUIS, MASON.
PSALM lxxxviii. 1. O LORD God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee: let my prayer enter into thy presence; incline thine ear unto my calling.
2. For my soul is full of trouble : and my life draweth nigh unto hell.
3. I am counted as one of them that go down into the pit : and I have been even as a man that hath no strength.
4. Free among the dead, like unto them that are wounded, and lie in the grave : who are out of remembrance, and are cut away from thy hand.
5. Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit : in a place of darkness, and in the deep.
6. Thine indignation lieth hard upon me : and thou hast vexed me with all thy storms.
9. My sight faileth for very trouble : LORD, I have called daily upon thee, I have stretched out my hands unto thee.
10. Dost thou show wonders among the dead : or shall the dead rise up again, and praise thee?
13. Unto thee have I cried, 0 LORD : and early shall
my prayer come before thee. lxxxvi. 15. But thou, O LORD God, art full of compassion and mercy : long-suffering, plenteous in goodness and truth.
16. O turn thee then unto me, and have mercy upon me : give thy strength unto thy servant, and help the son of thine handmaid.
[JER. CLARKE, Blow, RICHARDSON, CROFT,
ISALAH xii. 1. O LORD, I will praise thee : though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou hast restored me.
2. Behold, God is my salvation: I will trust and not be afraid : for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song, he also is become my salvation.
4. Praise the LORD, call upon his Name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his Name is exalted.
5. Sing unto the LORD, for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.
6. Cry aloud and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion : for great is the holy one of Israel in the midst of thee. [ALDRICH from CARISSIMI, CROFT, GREENE.
PSALM Ixi. 6. O LORD, grant the king a long life : that his years may endure throughout all generations.
7. He shall dwell before God for ever : 0 prepare thy loving mercy and faithfulness, that they may preserve him.
8. So will I evermore give thanks unto thy Name : that I may daily perform my vows.
cxxxii. 19. As for his enemies, clothe them with shame : but
himself let his crown flourish. lxxii. 1. His dominion shall endure from one sea to the other : and from the flood unto the world's end.
lxxxix. 29. Let thy mercy continue for evermore : and thy counsel stand fast with him.
30. Let his seed endure for ever : and his throne as the days of heaven.
cxviii. 24. This is the day which the LORD hath made : we will rejoice and be glad in it.
xx. 5. We will rejoice in thy salvation : and triumph in the Name of the LORD our God.
9. Save, LORD, and hear us, O King of heaven, when we call upon thee. Hallelujah. Amen.
[CHILD, ALDRICH, CROFT, GREENE, Isaac, NARES,
RANDALL, ALCOCK, J. S. SMITH, BANKS, PRATT.
ISAIAH XXV. 1. O LORD my God, I will exalt thee, I will praise thy Name ; for thou hast done amazing things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth.
4. For thou hast been a defence to the poor and needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, a shelter against the raging tempest.
8. He will swallow up death in victory : God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and he shall vindicate his saints.
9. Lo this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD our God, and we have waited for him, we will rejoice and be glad in his salvation. Amen. [BULL, NARES, EBDON.
PSALM vii. 1. O LORD my God, in thee have I put my trust : save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me.
xxx. 11. Hear, O my God, and have mercy upon me: be thou my helper; save me for thy mercy's sake.
xxxi. 18. O shew thy servant the light of thy countenance : and save me for thy mercy's sake.
vii. 18. I will give thanks unto the LORD : and I will praise his holy Name : for he hath heard the voice of my humble petition. Praised be the LORD.
PSALM XXX. 2. O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
3. Thou, LORD, hast brought my soul out of hell : thou hast kept my life from them that go down to the pit.
xxi. 1. The king shall rejoice in thy strength, O LORD: exceeding glad shall he be of thy salvation.
2. Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not denied him the request of his lips.
7. And why? because the king putteth his trust in the LORD; and in the mercy of the most Highest he shall not miscarry.
xviii. 50. For this cause will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the Gentiles, and sing praises unto thy Name, O thou most High.
cvi. 46. Blessed be the LORD GOD of Israel from everlasting, and world without end; and let all the people say, Amen.
PSALM xxii. 1. O LORD my God, why hast thou forsaken me : and art so far from my health, and from the words of my complaint ?
14. I am poured out like water, all my bones are out of joint : my heart also in the midst of my body is even like melting wax.
19. But be not thou far from me, O LORD : thou art my succour; haste thee to help me.
16. For many dogs are come about me : and the counsel of the wicked layeth siege against me.
17. They pierced my hands and my feet, I may tell all my bones : they stand staring and looking upon me.
18. They part my garments among them : and cast lots upon my vesture.
PSALM vii. 1. O LORD my God, in thee do we put our trust : save us from our enemies, and from the hand of them that persecute us.
xliv. 7. For I will not trust in my bow : it is not my sword that can help me.
8. But it is thou that savest us from our enemies : and puttest them to confusion that hate us.
9. We make our boast of God all day long : and will praise thy Name for ever. Amen. (BECKWITH.
PSALM viii. 1. O LORD our Governor, how excellent is thy Name in all the world : thou that hast set thy glory above the heavens !
2. Out of the mouth of very babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength, because of thine enemies : that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
3. For I will consider thy heavens, even the works of thy fingers : the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained.
4. LORD, what is man, that thou art mindful of him : and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5. Thou madest him lower than the angels : to crown him with glory and worship.
6. Thou makest him to have dominion of the works of thy hands : and thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet;