« PreviousContinue »
11. Cast me not away from thy presence : and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12. O give me the comfort of thy help again : and stablish me with thy free spirit.
17. The sacrifice of God is a broken spirit : a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
cxliii. 2. Enter not into judgment with thy servant : for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.
ciï. 8. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy : long-suffering, and of great goodness.
9. He will not alway be chiding : neither keepeth he his anger for ever.
13. Yea, like as a father pitieth his own children : even so is the LORD merciful to them that fear him.
14. The LORD knoweth whereof we are made : he remembereth that we are but dust.
lxxiii. 25. My flesh and my heart faileth : but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.
24. Whom have I in heaven but the LORD : and there is none upon earth that I desire in comparison of him.
Lo! my Shepherd is divine,
Father, we adore thee, and worship thee,
HAYDN and MOZART.
Psalm iii. 2. Many one there be that say of my soul : there is no help for him in his God.
3. But thou, O LORD, art my defender : thou art my worship, and the lifter up of my head.
4. I did call upon the LORD with my voice : and he heard me out of his holy hill.
5. I laid me down and slept, and rose up again : for the LORD sustained me.
song unto the LORD, and spake, saying,
2. The Lord is my strength and my song, he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.
6. Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power : thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy.
7. And in the greatness of thine excellency thou hast overthrown all them that rose up against thee.
3. The LORD is a man of war : the LORD is his name.
4. Pharaoh's chariots and his hosts hath he cast into the sea : his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea.
1. I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
18. The LORD shall reign for ever and ever.
19. For the horse of Pharaoh went in with his chariots and with his horsemen into the sea, and the Lord brought again the waters of the sea upon them ; but the children of Israel went upon dry land in the midst of the sea.
20. And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of
Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand ; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
21. And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
[Prts and others from HANDEL.
1. My God, my God, look upon me; why hast thou forsaken me : and art so far from my health, and from the words of my complaint ?
2. O my God, I cry in the day-time, but thou hearest not : and in the night-season also I take no rest.
3. And thou continuest holy : 0 thou worship of Israel.
7. All they that see me laugh me to scorn : they shoot out their lips, and shake their heads, saying,
8. He trusted in God, that he would deliver him : let him deliver him, if he will have him.
14. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint : my heart also in the midst of my body is even like melting wax.
17. They pierced my hands and my feet; I may tell all my bones : they stand staring and looking upon me.
18. They part my garments among them : and cast lots upon my vesture.
xxxviii. 21. But be not thou far from me, O LORD.
22. Haste thee to help me : 0 LORD God of my salvation.
lxxxvii. 9. Hath God forgotten to be gracious : and will he shut up his loving-kindness in displeasure
cxxx. 3. If thou, LORD, wilt be extreme to mark what is done amiss : 0 LORD, who may abide it?
xxii. 4. Our fathers hoped in thee : they trusted in thee, and thou didst deliver them.
xxv. 15. Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me : LORD, be thou my helper.
lxxxv. 7. Shew us thy mercy, O LORD : and grant us thy salvation.
[Blow, GREENE, REYNOLDS, Dupuis, CROTCH.
PSALM xly. 1. My heart is inditing of a good matter : I speak of the things which I have made unto the King.
10. Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women : upon thy right hand did stand the queen in a vesture of gold.
12. And the King shall have pleasure in thy beauty.
Is. xlix. 23. Kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and queens thy nursing mothers.
1 SAMUEL ii. 1. My heart rejoiceth in the LORD; mine horn is exalted : I rejoice in thy salvation.
2. None is holy as the LORD : nor any rock like our GOD.
3. Talk no more so exceeding proudly, let not arrogancy come out of your mouth : for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
4. The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girt with strength.
6. The LORD killeth and maketh alive : he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.
9. He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness : for by strength shall no man prevail.
10. The LORD shall judge the ends of the earth : he shall give strength unto his king, and exalt the horn of his Anointed. Hallelujah. [BOYCE.
PSALM Xxxvi. 1. My heart sheweth me the wickedness of the ungodly : that there is no fear of God before his eyes.
x. 5. His ways are always grievous : thy judgments are far above out of his sight, and therefore defieth he all his enemies.
xxxvi. 11. O let not the foot of pride come against me : and let not the hand of the ungodly cast me down.
12. There are they fallen, all that work wickedness : they are cast down, and shall not be able to stand.
5. Thy mercy, O LORD, reacheth unto the heavens : and thy faithfulness unto the clouds.
xxxvii. 3, 4. Put thou thy trust in the LORD : and he shall give thee thy heart's desire.
23. The Lord ordereth the good man's going : and maketh his way acceptable to himself.
24. Though he fall, he shall not be cast away : for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
41. The LORD shall stand by him, and save him he will deliver him from the ungodly, because he puts his trust in him. [WOODWARD, CLARKE WHITFIELD.
PSALM cxlv. 21. My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD : and let all flesh give thanks unto his holy name for ever and ever. Amen.
PSALM ci. 1. My song shall be of mercy and judgment : unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
2. O let me have understanding : in the way of godliness.
3. When wilt thou come unto me : I will walk in my house with a perfect heart.