« PreviousContinue »
Chrift; not by Water only, but by
7. For there are three that bear
Record in Heaven, the FATHER, the WORD, and the HOLY GHOST: and thefe three are ONE.
8. And there are three that bear witness in Earth, the SPIRIT, and
these three agree in one.
41. Then they that gladly the WATER, and the BLOOD: and received his Word, were baptized: And the fame Day there were added unto them about three thousand Souls.
Rev. xxii. 17. And the SPIRIT And and the BRIDE fay, Come. let him that heareth, fay, Come. And let him that is ATHIRST, come: And whofoever will, let
off, even as many as the Lord our God fhall CALL.
40. And with many other Words did he testify and exhort, faying, Save your felves from this untoward Generation.
42. And they continued ftedfastly in the Apostles Doctrine and Fellowship, and in breaking of BREAD, and in PRAYERS.
him take the WATER of LIfe
See the References to the cxxxixtb Pfalm, pag. 52. &c. in the Harmony of the PS ALMS:
43. And Fear came upon every Soul and many WONDERS and SIGNS were done by the APOSTLES.
44. And all that believed were together, and had all THINGS COMMON.
45. And fold their Poffeffions and Goods, and parted them to all Men, as every Man had need.
46. And they continuing daily with one accord in the Temple, and breaking Bread from Houfe to House, did eat their Meat with GLADNESS and Singlenefs of Heart,
47. PRAISING GOD, and having FAVOUR with all the People. And the Lord ADDED to the Church daily fuch as fhould be SAVED.
CHA P. III.
1. Peter preaching to the People that came to fee a lame Man reftored to his Feet; 12. profeffeth the Cure not to have been wrought by his, or John's own Power, or Holiness, but by GOD, and his Son JESUS CHRIST, and through Faith in bis Name: 13. withal reprebending them for crucifying Jefus. 17. Which becaufe they did it through Ignorance, and that thereby were
fulfilled God's determinate Counfel, and the Scrip tures; 19. He exhorteth them by Repentance and Faith, to feek Remiffion of their Sins, and Salvation in the fame Jefus,
Ver. 1. NOW Peter and John went up together into the Temple, at the Hour of Prayer, being the
2. And a certain Man, lame from his Mother's Womb, was carried, whom they laid daily at the Gate of the Temple, which is called Beautiful, to afk Alms of them that entred into the Temple.
3. Who feeing Peter and John about to go into the Temple, afked an Alms.
4. And Peter fatning his Eyes upon him, with John, faid, Look on us.
5. And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive fomething of them.
6. Then Peter faid, Silver and Gold have I none; but fuch as I have, give I thee: In the NAME of Jesus Chrift of Nazareth, RISE up and walk.
7. And he took him by the right Hand, and lift him up; and immediately his Feet and Ankle-bones received Strength.
8. And he leaping up, ftood, and walked, and entred with them into the Temple, walking and leaping, and
9. And all the People faw him walking and praifing God.
10. And they knew that it was he which fat for Alms at the beautiful Gate of the Temple: and they were filled with Wonder and Amazement at that which had hapned unto him.
11. And as the lame Man which was healed, held Peter and John, all the People ran together unto them in the Porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondring.
12. And when Peter faw it, he anfwered unto the People, Ye Men of Ifrael, why marvel ye at this? or why Icok ye fo earnestly on us, as though by our own POWER or HOLINESS, we had made this Man to walk?
13. The God of Abraham, and of Ifaac, and of Ja cob, the Gop of our FATHERS hath GLORIFIED his Son Frfus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the Prefence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
14. But ye DENIED the HOLY ONE, and the JUST, and defired a Murderer to be granted unto you.
15. And KILLED the PRINCE of LIFE, whom God hath RAISED from the DEAD; whereof we are Witneffes.
16. And his Name, through FAITH in his NAME, hath made this Man ftrong, whom ye fee and know: Yea, the FAITH which is by him, hath given him this perfect Soundness in the Prefence of you all.
17. And now, Brethren, I wot that through Ignorance ye did it, as did alfo your Rulers:
18. But thofe Things which God before had fhewed by. the Mouth of all his PROPHETS, that Chrift fhould sufFER, he hath fo FULFILLED.
19. REPENT ye therefore and be CONVERTED, that your SINS may be BLOTTED OUT, when the Times of Refreshing fhall come from the Prefence of the Lord,
20. And he shall send Jefus Chrift, which before was preached unto you:
21. Whom the HEAVEN muft receive, until the Times of RESTITUTION of all Things, which God hath spoken by the Mouth of all his HOLY PROPHETS, fince the World began.
22. For Mofes truly faid unto the Fathers, * A PROPHET fhall the Lord your God RAISE up unto you, of your Brethren, like unto me, him fhall ye hear in all Things whatfoever he fhall fay
23. And it fhall come to pafs, that every Soul which will not hear that Prophet, fhall be destroyed from among the People.
24. Yea, and all the Prophets from Samuel, and thofe that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewife foretold of thefe Days.
See Deut. xviii. 15.
25. Ye are the Children of the Prophets, and of the Covenant which God made with our Fathers, faying unto Abraham, And in thy Seed fhall all the KINDREDS of the EARTH be BLESSED.
26. Unto you first, God having RAISED up his Son Jefus, fent him to BLESS you, in TURNING AWAY every one of you from his INIQUITIES.
CHA P. IV.
1. The Rulers of the Jews offended with Peter's Sermon, 4. (though thousands of the People were converted, that beard the Word) Imprifon him and John. 5. After, upon Examination, Peter boldly avouching the lame Man to be healed by the Name of JESUS, and that by the fame JESUS only we must be eternally faved. 13. They command him and John to preach no more in that Name, adding also threatning. Whereupon the Church fleeth to Prayer.
God, by moving the Place where they were assembled, teftified that be beard their Prayer: confirming the Church with the Gift of the Holy Ghoff, and with mutual Love, and Charity.
Ver.1. AND as they fpake unto the People, the Pricfts and the Captain of the Temple, and the Sadducees came upon them,
2. Being grieved that they taught the People, and preached through Fefus the RESURRECTION from the DEAD.
3. And they laid Hands on them, and put them in Hold unto the next Day: for it was now Even-tide.
4. Howbeit, many of them which heard the Word, believed; and the Number of the Men was about FIVE
5. And it came to pafs on the Morrow, that their Rulers, and Elders, and Scribes,
6. And Annas the High Prieft, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the Kindred of the High Prieft, were gathered together at Feru falem.
7. And when they had fet them in the midft, they afked, By what PowER, or by what NAME have ye done
8. Then Peter FILLED with the HOLY GHOSт, faid unto them, Ye Rulers of the People, and Elders of Ifrael; 9. If we this Day be examined of the GOOD DEED done to the impotent Man, by what Means he is made whole;
10. Be it known unto you all, and to all the People of Ifrael, that by the NAME of Jefus Chrift of Nazareth, whom ye CRUCIFIED, whom God RAISED from the DEAD, even by him doth this Man ftand here before you whole.
II. This is the Stone
*See Pfal. cxviii. 22.
which was fet at nought of you Builders; which is become the Head of the Corner.
12. Neither is there SALVATION in any other: for there is none other NAME under Heaven given among Men, whereby we must be SAVED.
13. Now when they faw the Boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned, and ignorant Men, they marvelled, and they took Knowledge of them, that they had been with Fefus.
14. And beholding the Man which was healed, ftanding with them, they could fay nothing against it.
15. But when they had commanded them to go afide out of the Council, they conferred among themselves,
16. Saying, What fhall we do to thefe Men? For that indeed a notable MIRACLE hath been done by them, is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerufalem, and we cannot DENY it.
17. But that it fpread no further among the People, let us ftraitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no Man in this Name.
18. And they called them, and commanded them not to fpeak at all, nor TEACH in the Name of Jefus.
19. But Peter and John answered and faid unto them, Whether it be right in the Sight of God, to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.
20. For we cannot but speak the Things which we have feen and heard.
21. So when they had further threatned them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, becaufe of the People: For all Men glorified God for that which was done.
22. For the Man was above forty Years old, on whom this Miracle of Healing was fhewed.
23. And being let go, they went to their own Company, and reported all that the Chief Priests and Elders had faid unto them.
24. And when they heard that, they lift up their Voice to God with one accord, and faid, Lord, thou art God which haft made Heaven and Earth, and the Sea, and all that in them is:
25. Who by the Mouth of thy Servant David haft said, Why did the Heathen rage, and the People imagine vain Things?
See Pfal. ii. 1.