« PreviousContinue »
26. And they gave forth their Lots, and the Lot fell upon Matthias, and he was numbred with the eleven APOSTLES.
1. The Apostles filled with the Holy Ghost, and speaking divers Languages, are admired by fome, and derided by others: 14. Whom Peter difproving, and being that the Apostles fpake by the Power of the Holy Ghost, that Jefus was rifen from the Dead, afcended into Heaven, had poured down the fame Holy Ghoft, and was the Meffiah, a Man known to them to be approved of God by his Miracles, Wonders, and Signs, and not crucified without bis determinate Counfel, and Fore-knowledge. 37. He baptizeth a great Number that were converted; 41. Who afterwards devoutly and charitably converfed together: the Apostles working many Miracles, and God daily increasing bis
Ver. I. AND when the Day
was fully come, they were all with one accord in one Place.
2. And fuddenly there came a Sound from Heaven as of a rushing mighty Wind, and it filled all the Houfe where they were fitting.
3. And there appeared unto them CLOVEN Tongues, like as of Fire, and it fat upon EAGH of them.
4. And they were all filled with the HOLY GHOST, and began to speak with other TONGUES, as the SPIRIT gave them Utterance. 5. And there were
Hither fhall I go
Pf. li. 10. Create in me a clean Heart, O Gon, and renew a right SPIRIT within me.
11. Cast me not away from thy Prefence; and take not thy HOLY SPIRIT from me.
12. Reftore unto me the Joy of thy SALVATION: and uphold me with thy free SPIRIT.
Prov. i. 23. Turn you at my Reproof: Behold, I will POUR out my SPIRIT unto you, I will make known my Words unto you.
Ifai. xliv. 3. For I will pour Water upon him that is thirty, and Floods upon the dry Ground: I will POUR my SPIRIT upon thy Seed, and my BLESSING upon thine Offspring.
Chap. lv. 1. Ho, every one that THIRSTETH, Come ye to the WATERS, and he that hath no Money;
8. And how hear we every Man in our own Tongue, wherein we were born?
9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the Dwellers in Mefopotamia, and in Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Afia,
10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the Parts of Lybia, about Cyrene, and Strangers of Rome, Jews, and Profelites,
11. Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them fpeak in our Tongues the WONDERFUL WORKS of GOD.
12. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, faying one to another, What meaneth this?
Chap. xxxvi. 26. A new Heart
alfo will I give you, and a NEW SPIRIT will I put within you, and I will take away the STONY Heart out of your Flesh, and I will give you an Heart of Flefh.
27. And I will put MY SPIRIT within you, and caufe you to walk in my STATUTES, and ye fhall keep my JUDGMENTS, and do them.
13. Others mocking, faid, Thefe Men are full of new Wine.
Zech. xii. 10. And I will POUR
on the Inhabitants of Jerufalem, the the of and SPIRIT of GRACE, and of SupPLICATIONS, and they fhall look upon me whom they have PIERCED, and they shall mourn for him as one mourneth for his only Son; and fhall be in Bitterness for him,
as one that is in Bitterness for his First-born.
John iii. 5. Jefus answered, Verily, verily I fay unto thee, Except
a Man be BORN of WATER, and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.
14. But Peter ftanding up with the Eleven, lift up his Voice, and faid unto them, Ye Men of Judea, and all ye that dwell at Jerufalem, be this known unto you,
6. That which is born of the
Fiefh, is Flefh; and that which is
born of the SPIRIT, is SPIRIT.
Chap. v. 32. There is another that BEARETH WITNESS of me, and I know that the Witness which
he witneffeth of me is true.
Chap. vii. 37. In the last Day, that great Day of the Feast, Jefus food and cried, faying, If any Man THIRST, let him come unto me,
38. He that BELIEVETH on me,
as the Scripture hath faid, out of
his BELLY thall flow RIVERS of
39. But this fpake he of the Sri
hearken to my Words:
15. For these are not drunken, as ye fuppofe, feeing it is but the third Hour of the Day.
16. But this is that which was spoken by the Prophet Foel*
17. And it fhall come to pafs in the last Days (faith God) I will pour out of my SPIRIT upon all FLESH: and your Sons and your Daughters fall prophefy, and your young Men fhall fee Vifions, and your old Men fhall dream Dreams:
RIT, which they that BELIEVE on him should receive: for the HoLY GHOST was not yet given, becaufe that Jefus was not yet glori fied.
Chap. xiv. 16. I will pray the Father, and he fhall give you another COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever;
* See Joel ii. 31.
17. Even the SPIRIT OF TRUTH,
whom the World cannot receive,
25. These Things have I spoken
26. But the COMFORTER, which is the HOLY GHOST, whom the Father will fend in my Name, hẹ fhall TEACH you all Things, and bring ALL THINGS to your remembrance, whatsoever I have faid unto you.
18. And on my Servants, and on my Handmaidens, I will POUR out in those Days of my SPIRIT, and they they fhall prophefy:
19. And I will fhew Wonders in Heaven above, and Signs in the Earth beneath Blood, and Fire, and Vapour of Smoke.
20. The Sun fhall be turned into Darknefs, and the Moon into Blood, before that great and notable Day of the Lord come.
21. And it fhall come to
12. I have yet many Things to
pafs, that whofoever fhall fay unto you, but ye cannot bear
CALL on the Name of the them now.
22. Ye Men of Ifrael,
Chap. xv. 26. But when the COMFORTER is come, whom I will fend unto you from the Fa which PROCEEDETH from the Father, he fall teftify of me.
ther, even the SPIRIT of TRuth,
Chap. xvi. 7. Nevertheless, I tell you the Truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the COMFORTER Will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will fend him unto you.
8. And when he is come, he will reprove the World of SIN, and of RIGHTEOUSNESS, and of JUDG
13. Howbeit, when he the SPIRIT of TRUTH is come, he will
guide you into all Truth: for he fhall not fpeak of himself; but he fpeak, and he will fhew you whatsoever he shall hear, that shall
Things to come.
14. He fhall GLORIFY me: for
he fhall receive of mine, and shall
fhew it unto you.
Luke xxiv. 49. And behold, I fend the PROMISE of my Father upon
fhamed, because the Love of Go Rom v. S. HOPE maketh not ais thed abroad in our Hearts, by the
HOLY GHOST which is given un
23. Him being delivered upon you: But tarry ye in the City by the determinate COUN- with POWER from on HIGH. of Jerufalem, until ye be endued SEL and FORE KNOWLEDGE of God, ye have taken, and by wicked Hands have CRU CIFIED, and SLAIN. Whom God hath RAISED up, having loofed the PAINS of DEATH: because it was not poffible that he should be holden of it.
25. For David fpeaketh concerning him, I fore-faw the LORD always before my Face, for he is on my right Hand, that I fhould not be moved.
26. Therefore did my Heart rejoice, and my Tongue was glad Moreover alfo, my Flefh fhall reft in Hope,
27. Becaufe thou wilt not leave my SouL in Hell, neither wilt thou fuffer thine HOLY ONE to fee Corruption.
28.Thou haft made known to me the WAYS of LIFE; thou fhalt make me full of Joy with thy Countenance.
29. Men and Brethren, let me freely fpeak unto you of the Patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his Sepulchre is with us unto this Day.
30. Therefore being a Prophet, and knowing that God had fworn with an Oath to him, that of the Fruit of his Loins, according to the Flefh, he would raife up CHRIST, to fit on his Throne.
31. He feeing this before,
Chap. viii. 11. But if the SPIRIT raifed up Chrift from the Dead, fhall of him that raised up Jefus from the Dead dwell in you; he that alfo QUICKEN your mortal Bodies, by his SPIRIT that dwelleth in you.
* See Pfal xvi. 8,-11.
ye hail die: but if ye through the
Sons of God.
26. Likewife the SPIRIT alfo
helpeth our INFIRMITIES: for for as we ought: but the SPIRIT we know not what we should pray itfelf maketh Interceffion for us, with Groanings which cannot be
Hearts, knoweth what is the Mind 27. And he that fearcheth the of the SPIRIT, because he maketh
Interceffion for the Saints, according
to the WILL of GOD.
EYE hath not feen, nor EAR heard,
SPIRIT fearcherh all Things, yea,
11. For what Man knoweth the
the Spirit of the World, but the
verfities of GIFTS, but the fame
fpake of the RESURRECTION of CHRIST, that his SOUL was not left in Hell, neither his FLESH did fee Corruption.
32. This Jefus hath God RAISED up, whereof we all are Witnelles.
33. Therefore being by the right Hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the PROMISE of the HOLY GHOST, he hath fhed forth this which ye now fee and hear.
34. For David is not af cended into the Heavens : but he faith himself, * The Lord faid unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right Hand, 35. Until I make thy Foes thy Footstool.
36. Therefore let all the Houfe of Ifrael know affuredly, that God hath made that fame Jefus whom ye have crucified, both Lord and CHRIST.
37. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their Heart, and faid unto Peter, and to the rent of the Apoftles, Men and Brethren, What hall we do?
38. Then Peter faid to them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you, in the Name of Jefus Chrift, for the Remiflion of SINS, and hall receive the Gift ye of the HOLY GHOST.
39. For the Promife is unto you, and to your Children, and to all that are afar off,
2 Cor. iii. 17. Now the Lord is that SPIRIT and where the SPIRIT of the Lord is, there is Liberty.
18. But we all with open Face, beholding as in a Glass the Glory of the Lord, are CHANGED into
the fame IMAGE, from Glory to Glory, even as by the SPIRIT of
Gal. iii. 13. Chrift hath redeemed us from the Curfe of the Law, being made a Curfe for us: for it is written, Curfed is every one that hangeth on a Tree:
14. That the Blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiler through Jefus Chrift; that we
might receive the PROMISE of the SPIRIT through FAITH.
*See Pfal. cx. I.
Chap. iv. 6. Because ye are Sons, God hath fent forth the SPIRIT of his SoN into your Hearts, crying, ABBA, Father.
Ephef. i. 12. That we should be to the Praise of his GLORY, who
first trufted in Chrift.
13. In whom ye alfo trufted after that ye heard the Word of Truth, the GOSPEL of your SALVATION: In whom alfo after that ye believed, ye were fealed with the HOLY SPIRIT of PROMISE,
14. Which is the Earneft of our
Inheritance, until the Redemption of the purchafed POSSESSION UNIO the Praife of his Glory.
Tirus iii. 4. But after that the KINDNESS and LOVE of God our SAVIOUR toward Man appeared,
5. Not by Works of Righteouf nels, which we have done, but ac
un-cording to his MERCY he faved us by the washing of Regeneration, and renewing of the HOLY GHOST:
6. Which he shed on us abun
dantly through Jefus Chrift our Saviour.
Heb. ii. 4. God also bearing them witnefs, both with Signs and Wonders, and with divers MIRACLES and GIFTS of the HOLY GHOST, according to his own Will.
1 John v. 6. This is he that came by Water and Blood, even Jefre Chrift