« PreviousContinue »
3. BLESSED: (a) are the Poor in SPIRIT: for theirs is
the Kingdom of Heaven. (a) Gen. xviii. 27. And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but Dust and Ashes.
Chap. xxxii, 10. I am not worthy of the least of all the Mercies, and of all the Truth which thou hast shewed unto thy Servant.
Job vii. 17. What is Man, that thou shouldst magnify him ? and that thou shouldīt set thine HEART upon him?
Chap. xiv. 1. Man that is born of a Woman, is of few Days, and full of TROUBLE ;
2. He cometh forth like a Flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a Shadow, and continueth not.
3. And dost thou OPEN THINE Eyes upon such an Ove, and bringest me into Judgment with thee?
4. Who can bring a clean Thing out of an unclean? Not one. Chap. xxii
. 29. When Men are cast down, then thou shalt fay, There is lifting up: And he shall save the HUMBLE Person.
Chap. xxv. 5. Behold even to the Moon, and it shineth not; yea, the Stars are not pure in his Sight.
6. How much less Man which is a WoRM: and the Son of Man which is a Worm?
Chap. xl. 3. Then yob answered the Lord, and said,
4. Behold, I am vile, what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine Hand upon my Mouth.
5. Once have I spoken, but I will not answer : yea, twice, but I will proceed no further.
Chap. xlii. 5. I have heard of thee by the Hearing of the Ear: but now mine Eye seeth thee.
6. Wherefore I ABHor myself, and repent in Dust and Ashes. Pfalu viii. 3. When I consider thy Heavens, the Work of thy Fingers, the Moon and the Stars which thou hast ordained :
4. What is Man, that thou art MINDFUL of him? and the Son of Man, that thou VISITEST him?
Pf. xxxiv. 18. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a BROKEN Heart, and saveth such as be of a conTRITE SPIRIT.
Pl. xxxix. 5. Behold thou hast made my Days as an Hand breadth, and mine Age is as NOTHING before thee : Verily 'every Man at his best State is altogether Vanity.
11. When thou with Rebukes doft correct Man for INIQUITY, thou makest his Beauty to consume away like a Moth : Surely every Man is VANITY.
Pf. li. 17. The Sacrifices of God are a BROKEN SPIRIT: a BROKEN and a contrite Heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Pj. Ixxii. 4. He shall judge the Poor of the People, he shall save the Children of the Needy, and shall break in pieces the Oppresor
12. For he shall deliver the Needy when he crieth : the Poor also, and him that hath no Helper.
13. He shall spare the Poor and Needy, and shall save the Souls of the Needy.
Pf. cxxxi. 1. Lord, my Heart is not HAUGHTY, nor mine Eyes LOFTY: neither do I exercise my self in great Matters, or in Things TOO HIGH for me.
2. Surely I have behaved and quieted my self as a Child that is weaned of his Mother : my Soul is even as a weaned Child.
3. Let Ifrael hope in the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.
PS. cxxxvïï. 6. Though the Lord be high, yet hath he Respect unto the LOWLY: but the Proud he knoweth afar off.
Prov. iii. 7. Be not wise in thine own Eyes : fear the Lord, and depart from Evil.
34. Surely he scorneth the Scorners : but he giveth Grace unto the LOWLY.
Chap. xvi. 2. All the Ways of a Man are clean in his own Eyes: but the LORD weigheth the Spirits.
5. Every one that is PROUD in Heart, is an ABOMINATION to the Lord.
18. Pride goeth before Destruction : and an HAUGHTY SPIRIT before a Fall.
19. Better is it to be of an HUMBLE Spirit with the LOWLY, than to divide the Spoil with the Proud.
Chap. xviii. 12. Before Destruction the Heart of Man is HAUGHTy, and before Honour is Humility.
Chap. xxix. 23. A Man's Pride Thall bring him low: but HoNOUR shall uphold the HUMBLE in Spirit.
Ifai. ii. 11. The Lofty Looks of Man shall be HUMBLED, and the HAUGHTINĖSS of Man shall be bowed down, and the Lord alone shall be exalted in that Day.
12. For the Day of the Lord of Hofts shall be upon every one that is PROUD and Lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up, and he shall be brought low.
17. And the Lottiness of Man shall be bowed down, and the Haughtiness of Man Thall be made low : and the Lord alone shall be exalted in that Day.
Chap. vi. 5. Then said Í, wo is is me, for I am undone, be. cause I am a Man of unclean Lips, and I dwell in the midst of a People of unclean Lips : for mine Eyes have seen the KING, the LORD of Hosts. Chap. lvii
. 15. For thus faith the High and Lofty One that inhabiteth Eternity, whose Name is Holy, I dwell in the high and holy Place; with him also that is of a CONTRITE and HUMBLE Spirit, to revive the SPIRIT of the HUMBLE, and to revive the Heart of the CONTRITE Ones.
Chap. Ixvi. 1. Thus faith the Lord, The Heaven is my Throne, and the Earth is my Footstool : where is the House that ye build wnto me? and where is the Place of my rest ?
2. For all those Things hath mine Hand made, and all those Things have been, faith the Lord: but to this Man will I look, even to him that is of Poor, and of a contrITE SPIRIT, and trembleth at my Word.
Ezek. xxi. 26. Thus faith the Lord God, EXALT him that is Low, and ABASE him that is high.
Dan. iv. 37. Now I Nebuchadnezzar PRAISE, and EXTOL, and HONOUR the King of Heaven, all whose Works are Truth, and his Ways Judgment, and thoSE THAT WALK IN PRIDe he is able to ABASE.
Mal. iv. 1. For behold, the Day cometh that shall burn as an Oven, and all the Proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be Stubble, and the Day that cometh shall burn them up, faith the Lord of Hofts, that it shall leave them neither Root nor Branch.
2. But unto you that fear my Name, shall the Sun of RighTEOUSNESS arise with Healing in his WINGS.
Matt. xxiii. 12. Whosoever shall exalt himself, shall be ABAS. ED ; and he that shall HUMBLE himself, shall be EXALTED.
Luke xvii. 10. When ye shall have done all those Things which are commanded you, say, We are UNPROFITABLE Servants : we have done that which was our Duty to do.
Rom. xii. 3. For I say through the Grace given unto me, to every Man that is among you, not to think of himself more highLY than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every Man the Measure of Faith.
16. Be of the fame Mind one towards another, mind not hich Things, but condescend to Men of low Estate, Be not wise in your own Conceits.
Gal. vi.-3. For if a Man think himself to be SOMETHING, when he is Nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Pbil. ii. 3. Let nothing be done through Strife, or VAINGLORY, but in Lowliness of Mind, let each esteem other better than themselves.
1 Pet. v. 5. Likewise, ye Younger, submit yourselves unto the Elder : yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be CLOATHED with HUMILITY : for God refifteth the PROUD, and giveth Grace to the HUMBLE.
6. Humble your selves therefore under the mighty Hand of God, that he may EXALT you in due Time.
4. BLESSED (6) are they that NOURN: for they shall be
(6) Ezra ix. 5. And at the Evening Sacrifice, I arose up from my Heaviness, and having rent my Garment and my Mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my Hands unto the Lord my God,
6. And said, O my God, I am Ashamed and blush to lift up my Face to thee, my God : for our INIQUITIES are increased over our Head, and our Trespass is grown up unto the Heavens.
Psalm xxxviii. 18. I will declare mine INIQUITY, and be sorry for my Sin.
Ps. xlii. 9. I will say unto God my Rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? Why go Í MOURNING because of the Oppression of the Enemy?
11. Why art thou cAST DOWN, O my Soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God, for I shall yet praise him, who is the Health of my Countenance, and my God.
Pl. cxix. 53. HORROR hath taken hold upon me, because of the Wicked that forsake thy Law.
136. Rivers of Waters run down mine Eyes : because they keep not thy Law.
143. TROUBLE and ANGUISH have taken hold on me: yet thy Commandments are my Delight.
145. I cried with my whole Heart, hear me, O Lord : I will keep thy Statutes.
153. Consider mine Affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy Law.
158. I beheld the Transgreffors, and was grieved: because they kept not thy Word.
Jer. iii. 12. Go, and proclaim these Words toward the North, and say, Return thou Backsliding Israel, faith the Lord, and I will not cause mine Anger to fall upon you: for I am MERCIFUL, faith the Lord, and I will not keep Anger for ever.
13. Only ACKNOWLEDGE thine INIQUITY that thou liaft transgressed against the Lord thy God, and hast scattered thy Ways to the Strangers under every green Tree, and ye have not obeyed my Voice, saith the LORD.
Chap. xiv. 7: O Lord, though our INIQUITIES testify against us, do thou it for thy Name's fake: for dur Backslidings are many, we have sinned against thee.
20. We acknowledge, O Lord, our Wickedness, and the Ini. quity of our Fathers : for we have finned against thee.
Lament. i. 18. The Lord is righteous, for I have rebelled against his Commandments: Hear, I pray you, all People, and behold my Sorrow.
Joel ii. 12. Therefore also now faith the LORD, TURN ye even to me with all your Heart, and with Fasting, and with WEEPING, and with Mourning.
13. And rent your Hearts, and not your Garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is Gracious and Merciful, flow to Anger, and of great Kindness, and repenteth hin of the Evil.
Luke xv. 18. I will arise, and go to my Father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against Heaven, and before thee,
19. And am no more worthy to be called thy Son: make me as one of thy HIRED SERVANTS.
20. And he arose, and came to his Father. But when he was yet a great way off, his Father saw him, and had Compassion, and ran, and fell on his Neck, and kissed him.
21. And his Son said unto him, Father, I have finned against Heaven, and in thy fight, and am ng more worthy to be called thy Son.
2 Cor. vii. 10. For GODLY SORROW worketh Repentance to Salvation not to be repented of: but the Sorrow of the World worketh Death.
11. For behold, this self-fame Thing that ye sorrowed after a GODLY sort, what Carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what Clearing of your felves, yea, what Indignation, yea, what Fear, yea, what vehement Desiré, yea, what Zeal.
2 Pet. ii. 7. And delivered juft Lot, vexed with the filthy Conversation of the Wicked :
8. (For that righteous Man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous Soul from Day to Day, with their UNLAWFUL Deeds)
James iv. 9. Be AFFLICTED, and mourn, and weep: let your Laughter be turned to MOURNING, and your Joy to HEAVINESS.
10. Humble your selves in the Sight of the Lord, and he shall LIFT you up.
Luke vi. 21. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
Rev. xxi. 4. And God shall wipe away all Tears from their Eyes ; and there shall be no more DEATH, neither SORROW, nos CRYING, neither shall there be any more PAIN : for the former Things are passed away.
5. BLESSED (C) are the MLEK : for they shall INHERIT the EARTH.
(1) Psalm xxv. 9. The Meek will he guide in Judgment: and the MEK will he teach his Way.
Pl. xxii. 26. The Meek hall eat and be satisfied : they shall praise the Lord that seek him ; your Heart shall live for ever.
Pl. xxxvii. 11. But the Meek shall INHERIT the EARTH: and fhall delight themselves in abundance of Peace.
Ifai. xxix. 19. The Meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord, and the Poor among Men illall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
Chap. lxi. 1. The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord hath anointed me to preach Good Tipings unto the Meek, he hath sent me to bind up the Broken-hearted, to proclaim Liberty to the Captives, and the opening of the Prison to them that are bound.
Matt. xi. 28. Come unto me, all ye that LABOUR, and are heavy LADEN, and I will give you