« PreviousContinue »
OCCASIONALLY ILLUSTRATED WITH ENGRAVINGS, AND CONTAINING ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY-TWO PAGES, IN A GOOD, BOLD TYPE.
SIXPENCE, IN FANCY PAPER COVERS.
TENPENCE, IN CLOTH BOARDS, GILT EDGES.
"I never wanted articles on religious subjects half so much as articles on common subjects, written with a decidedly Christian tone."-DR. ARNOLD.
THIS series is adapted to the new development and growing intelligence of the times. With the exception of a few reprints, it is ORIGINAL; from the pens of authors of ability in their respective departments in literature and science:-SCRIPTURAL; in the principles in which they are written :-POPULAR; in their style; so that instead of being limited to one class of the community, they are generally acceptable:-PORTABLE; serving as "hand-books" abroad and at home:-and ECONOMICAL; the twelve volumes of a year costing less than three half-pence per week. Thus while the MONTHLY SERIES is fully adapted to the educated FAMILIES of our land, to DAY and SUNDAY SCHOOLS, and to the LIBRARIES of mechanics and others, they supply interesting and valuable reading to a large number of the people, who can only spare time enough for the perusal of a small volume, and whose means will not allow of a more costly purchase.
1. THE LIFE OF JULIUS CESAR.
5. OUR SONG BIRDS. By W. MARTIN, Esq.
6. SOLAR SYSTEM. Part I. By Dr. DICK.
7. THE TASK AND OTHER POEMS. By Wм. CowPER, Esq. 8. SKETCHES OF THE WALDENSES.
9. SOLAR SYSTEM. Part II. By Dr. DICK.
10. LIFE OF LUTHER.
11. BLIGHTS of the WHEAT. By the Rev. E. SIDNEY, M.A.
12. ANCIENT JERUSALEM. By Dr. KITTO.
13. PHILOSOPHY OF THE PLAN OF SALVATION.
14. MAN, IN HIS PHYSICAL, INTELLECTUAL, SOCIAL, AND MORAL RELATIONS. By W. NEWNHAM, Esq.
15. MODERN JERUSALEM. By Dr. KITTO.
16. LIFE OF CYRUS.
17. GARDEN FLOWERS OF THE YEAR. 18. DAWN OF MODERN CIVILIZATION. 19. LIFE OF LADY RUSSELL.
20. OUR DOMESTIC FOWLS. By W. MARTIN, Esq.
21. TRUTH, AND OTHER POEMS. By WM. COWPER, Esq. 22. LIFE OF MOHAMMED.
23. SKETCHES OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION.
24. THE CAVES OF THE EARTH.
25. EMINENT MEDICAL MEN.
26. LIFE OF MARTIN BOOS.
28. COMPARISONS OF STRUCTURE IN ANIMALS. By W. MARTIN, Esq.
29 & 38. PROTESTANTISM IN FRANCE. Parts I. II.
30. MAGIC, PRETENDED MIRACLES, etc.
31. THE ATMOSPHERE AND ITS PHENOMENA. By Dr. DICK. 32. SCHOOLS OF ANCIENT PHILOSOPHY.
33. THE LIFE OF CRANMER.
34. THE ORIGIN AND PROGRESS OF LANGUAGE.
35. OUR ENGLISH BIBLE.
36. THE TAHTAR TRIBES. By Dr. KITTO.
37. LIFE OF NAPOLEON BONAPARTE.
39. THE ARCTIC REGIONS. By CAPTAIN SCORESBY.
42. THE CRUSADES.
43. LIFE OF JOHN KASPAR LAVATER.
44. LIFE'S LAST HOURS; or, THE FINAL TESTIMONY. 45. THE PEOPLE OF PERSIÁ. By Dr. KITTO.
46. LIFE OF ALFRED THE GREAT.
47. PLANTS AND TREES OF SCRIPTURE.
48 & 50. CHARACTERS, SCENES, AND INCIDENTS OF THE REFORMATION. Parts I. II.
49. BRITISH FISH AND FISHERIES. By W. MARTIN, Esq. 51. THE SENSES AND THE MIND.
52. THE GEOGRAPHY OF PLANTS.
53 & 58. LIVES OF EMINENT ANGLO-SAXONS. Parts I. II. 54. LIFE AND TIMES OF LEO X.
55. THE JORDAN AND THE DEAD SEA.
56. GOOD HEALTH.
59. ANCIENT EGYPT.
60. LONDON IN THE OLDEN TIME.
61. IDUMEA: WITH A SURVEY OF ARABIA AND THE ARABIANS.
62. BABYLON AND THE BANKS OF THE EUPHRATES.
63. NINEVEH AND THE TIGRIS.
64, 73, 81, & 85. LIVES OF THE POPES. Parts I.-IV.
65. LONDON IN MODERN TIMES.
66. MINES AND MINING.
67. THE TELESCOPE AND MICROSCOPE. By Dr. DICK. 68. THE JESUITS: A HISTORICAL SKETCH.
69. LIFE OF SIR ISAAC NEWTON.
70. THE BRITISH NATION: ITS ARTS AND MANUFACTURES.
71. LIFE AND TIMES OF JOHN DE WYCLIFFE. 72. REMARKABLE DELUSIONS.
75. JAMES WATT AND THE STEAM ENGINE.
77. THE PALM TRIBES AND THEIR VARIETIES.
80. TYRE: ITS RISE, GLORY, AND DESOLATION.
83. CAXTON AND THE ART OF PRINTING. 84. MONEY: ITS HISTORY, USE, ETC.
86. OLD EDINBURGH.
87. THE GREEK AND EASTERN CHURCHES. 88. VENICE: PAST AND PRESENT.
89. THE INQUISITION.
90. REMARKABLE ESCAPES FROM PERIL.
91. SWITZERLAND: HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE. 92. THE BIBLE IN MANY TONGUES.
93. AUSTRALIA: ITS SCENERY, etc.
94. ALEXANDER THE GREAT.
95. AUSTRALIA AND ITS SETTLEMENTS.
96. SUCCESSFUL MEN OF MODERN TIMES.
97. MODERN EDINBURGH.
98. THE FIELD AND THE FOLD. BY REV. E. SIDNEY, M.A. 99. PARIS: ANCIENT AND MODERN.
Of the foregoing Series the following DOUBLE VOLUMES are formed, with engraved Frontispiece, 1s. 6d. each, cloth boards; in extra boards, gilt edges, 28.
COWPER'S TASK, TRUTH, AND OTHER POEMS.
DR. KITTO's ANCIENT AND MODERN JERUSALEM.
DR. DICK'S SOLAR SYSTEM.
THE GARDEN AND WILD FLOWERS OF THE YEAR.
DARK AGES AND DAWN OF MODERN CIVILIZATION.
THE FRENCH REVOLUTION AND NAPOLEON BONAPARTE.
THE ARCTIC REGIONS AND NORTHERN WHALE-FISHERY. BY CAPTAIN SCORESBY.
DR. KITTO's COURT AND PEOPLE OF PERSIA.
CHARACTERS, SCENES, AND INCIDENTS, OF THE REFORMATION.
LONDON; OR, SKETCHES OF THE GREAT METROPOLIS.
ANCIENT EGYPT AND TYRE.
THE CAVES AND MINES OF THE EARTH.
THE LIVES OF THE POPES. In Two Vols.
AUSTRALIA: ITS SCENERY, NATURAL HISTORY, SETTLEMENTS, AND GOLD FIELDS.
THE Committee of the Religious Tract Society have long been convinced that a new series of Books for Schools and Families was greatly needed. Many of the works now in use have much merit, but they are generally destitute of that truth by which alone the understanding can be enlightened, the heart renovated, and the feet guided in "the paths of peace." It is to provide books adapted to supply this deficiency that the present effort is made.
In works of History, the object has been carefully to exclude those details which are objectionable, and to view all events as under the control of Divine Providence. In Biography, the conduct of men is estimated, not by the maxims of this world, as in most other publications, but by the only infallible standard, the word of God. In every book of general instruction, sound information is imparted, on decidedly Christian principles.
The following have been published, in 12mo., strongly bound in cloth, sprinkled edges.
THE BIBLE HANDBOOK: an Introduction to the Study of the Sacred Scriptures. By JOSEPH ANGUS, D.D. With a Map. 58.
THE HISTORY OF ENGLAND: to the Year 1852. With Summaries of the State of the People at different Periods; their Maritime Operations, Commerce, Literature, and Political Progress. For Schools and Families. By the Rev. T. MILNER, A.M., F.R.G.S. 12mo. With two Maps. 5s.
THE HISTORY OF ROME, with Maps, 38.
THE HISTORY OF GREECE, with Map, 2s. 6d.
LIVES OF ILLUSTRIOUS GREEKS, 3s.
PALEY'S EVIDENCES OF CHRISTIANITY, with Introduction, Notes, and Supplement, by the Rev. T. R. BIRKS, A.M., 38. PALEY'S HORA PAULINE; with HORÆ APOSTOLICE, by the Rev. T. R. BIRKS, A.M., 38.
A UNIVERSAL GEOGRAPHY, in Four Parts: Historical, Mathematical, Physical, and Political. By the Rev. THOMAS MILNER, F.R.G.S. Ten Coloured Maps. 58.
**These works will also be found worthy of the perusal of students and general readers.
RELIGIOUS TRACT SOCIETY, 56, PATERNOSTER ROW, 65, ST. PAUL'S CHURCHYARD, AND 164, PICCADILLY: SOLD BY THE BOOK