« PreviousContinue »
Do all Things without Murmurings or Dilputings. Be ready to every good Work; and be diligent, that ye may be found of God 'without Spot and blameless.
Be not flothful, but be ye Followers of them who through Faith and Patience inherit the Promifes.
i Siand fast in one Spirit, with one Mind, striving together for the Faith of the Gospel; and in nothing terrified by your Adversaries.
k Contend earnestly for the Faith which was once delivered unto the Saints. Be zealous towards God: but let
Zeal be according to Knowledge.
m Herein do I exercise myself, to have always a Conscience void of Offence towards God and towards Men.
* Blelied are they, which do hunger and thirst after Righteousness, for they shall be filled. • Relift the Devil, and he will flee from you.
Growth and ExcelLENCE. p Furthermore then we beseech you, Brethren (Jaith St. Paul) and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how you ought to walk, and to please God, so you would abound more and more.
? Ye that are nourished up in the Words of Faith, and of good Doctrine, take Care that ye grow in Grace, and in the Knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
2 Pet. 3. 14.
h Heb. 6. 12. 6 Phil. 2. 14. Titus 3. I. i Phil. 1. 270 ķ Jude 3.
| Acts 22. 3. Rom. 10. 2. $1 Acts 24. 16.
noMat. 5. 6. • James 4. 7. 4 1 Tim. 4. 6. 2 Pet. 3. 18.
. And besides this, giving all Diligence, add to your Faith Virtue, and to Virtue Knowledge, and to Knowledge Temperance, and to Temperance Patience, and to Patience Godliness, and to Godlinefs brotherly Kindness, and to brotherly Kindness Charity. For if these Things be in you and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the Knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these Things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgoiten that he was purged from his old Sins.
s Walk as Children of Light, proving what is acceptable into the Lord; und always abounding in the Work of the Lord: Forasmuch as ye know that your Labour is not in vain in the Lord.
* We exhort and charge every one of you, that ye would walk worthy of the Vocation wherewith ye are called; worthy of God, who hath called you to his Kingdom and Glory; worthy of the Lord, unto all pleafing ; being fruitful in every good Work, and increasing in the Knowa ledge of God. u Let your
Love abound yet more and more in Knowledge and in all Judgment; that ye may be filled with the Fruits of Righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the Glory and Praise of God.
Herein(saith Christ) isiny Father glorified, that ye bear much Fruit; fó fhall ye be my Disciples.
* Let us therefore go on unto Perfection; and forgetting those Things which are behind, and reaching forth unto thole Things which are beiore,
1 2 Pet. 1. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. s Eph. 5.8, 10. 1 Cor. 15. 58. ti Theff. 2. II. Eph. 4. 5. i Theff. 2. 12. Col. 1. 10. u Phil. 1. 9, 10, 11. w John 15.8. * Heb. 6. .. Pois. 3. 12.
let us press toward the Mark for the Prize of the high Calling of God in Christ Jesus.“
y Seek that ye may excel. Approve Things that are excellent: Covet earnestly the best Gifts.
z Let your Conversation be as it becometh the Gospel of Christ, and so that ye may adorn the Doctrine of God our Saviour in all Things.
He who faith he abideth in Christ, ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
• Be ye Followers of God, as dear Children. And let every Man that hath this Hope in him, purify himself, even as he is pure ; and be righteous, even as he is righteous.
• As he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of Conversation ; because it is written, Be ye holy, for I am holy.
Be ye perfe&, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect : That ye may be blameless and harmless, the Sons of God without Rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse Nation, among whom ye shine as Lights in the World.
e Let your Light so thine before Men, that they inay see your good Works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.
Except your Righteousness shall exceed the Righteousness of the Scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Phil. 3. 14.
1 Cor. 12. 31. z Phil. j. 27. Titus 2. 10. 2 1 John 2. 6. b Eph. 5. 10 1 John 3. 3.
c i Pet. 1. 15, 16. d Mat. 5. 48. Phil. e Mat. 5. 16. Mat. 5. 20.
PERSEVERANCE. Let us hold fast the Profellion of our Faith without wavering.
* Continue ye in the Faith, grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the Hope of the Gospel which ye have heard. .
i Beware, left being led away by the Error of the Wicked, ye fall from your own Stedfastness. For we are made Partakers of Christ, if we hold the Beginning of our Confidence stedfast unto the End.
* If ye continue in my Word, then (Jaith Chrift) are ye my Disciples indecd.
They which have beliered in God foould be careful to maintain good Works. Keep your. fulves therefore in the Love of God; wait on God continually ; and be constant to do his Com. mandmenis.
'm Look to your felves, that ye lose not those Things which ye have wrought; but that ceive a full Reward.
* Let him that thinketh he ftandeth, take heed left he fall.
. Let us not be weaty in well-doing : For in Due Season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Till I die I will not remove my Integrity from me: My Righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go; my Heart shall not reproach me so long as I live.
3. 14. 12. 6.
& Heb. 10. 23•
h Col. 1. 23.
2 Pet. 3. 17. Hebo k fohn 8. 31.
I Titus 3. I. Jude 21. Hosea 1 Chron. 28. 7. m 2 John 2.
A i Cor. 1o. 12. & Gal. 6. g. P Job 27. 5, 6.
4 Because Iniquity shall abound, the Love of many shall wax cold; but he that Thall endure unto the End, the same shall be saved.
? When the Righteous turneth away from his Righteousness, and committeih Iniquiry; and dith according to all the Abominations that ihe wicked Man doih, all his Righteousness that he hath d ne iliall not be mentioned'; in his Trespass that he hath trefpafled, and in his Sin that lie hath linned, in theni thall lie die.
s If they that had escaped the Pollutions of the World, through the Knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, are again entangled therein and overcome; the latter End is worse with them than the Beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the Way of Righteoul ness, than after they have known it, to turn froin the holy Commandment delivered unto thcm.
* As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, fo walk ye in him ;, holding Faith and a good Conscience, and continuing in the Lore of Christ; that when he shall appear, ye may have Confidence, and not be alhamed before him at his coming.
The hoary head is a Crown of Glory, if it be found in the Way of Righteousness.
q Mat. 24. 12, 15.
. Ezek. 18. 24. • 2 Pet. 2. 20, 21. Col. 2. 6. i Tim. 1, 19. John 15.9 # Prov. 16. 31.
i Jpha 2. 28.